Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Murphy's First Headjob!

Hey All. Sorry to be away so long. Been busy. Well, looks like Murphy, the $500 Turbo-Wag's is throwing steam from the # 3 cylinder, so a head gasket job is on the schedule. This is a bummer since I was thinking about doing the A/T to 5spd Manual swap. That's once again on the backburner. I ordered the gasket kit and it will arive on Monday. Since I got the kit, I'm thinking I should go ahead and replace both gaskets. I have, in the past, replaced the gasket without having the head resurfaced, but that was when I was in college and was really, really poor. So this week-end I'll be busy cleaning out the two car garage, which is, at the moment, a one car and Lots-O-Junk garage.

PS. I used to be Froggymike, but I'm killing off the moniker. Froggymike is no more. Long live Sonicfrog!

UPDATE: Picked up the head gasket kit $101.00. Cleaned garage to make room for car. I start taking Murphy apart today. WILL have the heads milled.

Well, got the exgaust manifold off the heads. I was hoping not to have to take apart the turbo apart, but, with a wrench, I couldn't loosen the exhaust / turbo intake nut that sits right under the turbo outlet, so I had to take the outlet off to put a ratchet on the nut. But I got it off. I was scared though, because the nuts that hold the exhaust manifold to the heads came right off. and since exhaust systems are always my achillies heal, I get nervous when things go too easy there. Tomorrow will be the timing covers, belts and heads.