Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Simple Safety!

I've heard too many stories about people welding their tools across the battery terminals not to be careful where I'm putting tools,even with covered battery terminals. For that matter, I've got nightmares about getting a tool stuck between a belt and a pulley. Or, have it fall, hit a belt, and get spun off to hit (or penetrate) gawd knows what.

Makes me triple check that engine compartment before I drop the hood...

How about this.. I have recently started wearing a watch again.. with a metal band.

While reaching down to unplug my distributor, my watchband brushed the main terminal on the back of the alt.. at the same time, it also brushed the bracket.. that thing got hot QUICK!

Needless to say my nice new watch has a couple of arc welded battle scars on it now.. a couple of the links were even stuck together.. total contact time was less than 1/4 of a second.. Watch comes off before working on car now:D

and people wonder why i don't wear any jewelry...

when your in the navy and fly in a helo and there are ALOT of internal pieces moving in the open inside area of the aircraft... "it's not american airlines folks there ain't any stinkin cabin panels to see and protect you from hydralic fluid of a random snapping of a tail rotor cable!"

and also why i keep the blonde loches up in a tight ponytail or even a bun when working around an engine compartment.

I've seen what a fan belt can do to a human face for accidentally "catching" those locks others love to play with.....

Duct tape over the battery might not be that good an idea - the shiny side will conduct electricity (learned that one the hard way). The thing I love these days is liquid electrical tape (in a can, brush it on, it works great).

Before working on a car, jewelry off, safety glasses on, jackets with drawstrings on hoods and clothes with loose sleeves/shirttails get taken care of.

My dad almost lost a finger when his ring caught on something once. Luckily, it was a cheap ring, and the ring broke. Another family friend once had a shirttail catch in the drive belt of a grain auger. Again, luckily, it was an old shirt, and he only got minor whiplash when it tore the shirt right off his back.

Originally posted by electryc_monk

and also why i keep the blonde loches up in a tight ponytail or even a bun when working around an engine compartment.

That's why I cut that crap off :) I used to have about shoulder length hair or a bit shorter. I got SOOOOO sick of it getting rediculously dirty, in my face, worring about it getting cought in something, or just blowing around annoying the crap out of me!

The final straw was in the sheep barn working under my soob. I had spilled some nasty oil under there. My hair was already a mess from dragging it around on the floor while I was under there. While paying more attention to what I was doing and not where I was putting my head; my hair slid to one side and plop... right in the nasty sludge oil that had mixed with whatever else was in my har and on that dirty sheep barn floor....

Next day I looked like I was ready for boot camp :D