Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have had several newer Subarus in the past few years and two of them (Outback Wagon and presently an '03 Baja) "miss fire " for a few miles after each gas fill-up. Local dealer is not familiar with this as a recurring problem with Subarus but both mine do this. Any of you had this experience ? It would help if I could tell them what to look for. Many thanks.

I have had several newer Subarus in the past few years and two of them (Outback Wagon and presently an '03 Baja) "miss fire " for a few miles after each gas fill-up. Local dealer is not familiar with this as a recurring problem with Subarus but both mine do this. Any of you had this experience ? It would help if I could tell them what to look for. Many thanks.

Are you filling right up to the brim of the gas cap filler tube, or stop when the gas pump auto stops. Subaru recommends not to fill up past when the gas pump stops (think it has something to do with allowing pressurization in the tank, not sure). Maybe a weak fuel pump?

Other than that, brand of gas, winter gas (oxygenated vs non-oxygenated). My older subaru is finicky about Holiday Station Gas here in Minnesota - I never buy there unless it's an emergency and they're the only one around.

My 2002 does this when I go to certain gas stations. I don't know why. It hesitates and misses until the computer figures out what's going on. I think it happens when you switch grades, or brands of gas...but it happens so rarely now because I've stuck with the same gas station. I know that certain stations here have ethanol added, and others dont. Maybe its the particular fuel density because of the temperature or pressure oe the addition of ethanol or other additives. I know that fuel's density can change with temp, and a sudden change might throw off something? These are just wild a** guesses. If mine hesitates, it goes away after a couple miles.

Subaru has been putting Champion spark plugs in from the factory for a while now. The replacement plugs available at the dealer are NGK. I'm sure it's a money thing and nothing else. If your car has Champion plugs in it, replace them with NGK or Bosch Platinum. If that doesn't solve your problem, you will have to dig deeper.

Subaru has been putting Champion spark plugs in from the factory for a while now. The replacement plugs available at the dealer are NGK. I'm sure it's a money thing and nothing else. If your car has Champion plugs in it, replace them with NGK or Bosch Platinum. If that doesn't solve your problem, you will have to dig deeper.

The champion plugs are used to keep the car having a certain percentage of american made parts. Certainly not used for their quality.

Maybe you're just getting the "bottom of the barrel," so to speak. When gas is running low at the pumps there is a higher percentage of water at the bottom of their tanks.

I always "top off" and have never had a problem. I have about 12,200 miles on my car.

The champion plugs are used to keep the car having a certain percentage of american made parts. Certainly not used for their quality.

Nah, I thinks it's all about the bottom line...initial cost to produce vs sales profit. You'd be amazed how many sub-components are assembled in Mexico, for example, on the new models.

What criteria requires Subaru (Subaru or outside entity) to maintain a percentage of American made components? What do they care?

Don't put Bosch plugs in your Subaru. I used to get annoyed by the kid at the local car parts place who always made a big deal about that, until I had problems. I replaced the new Bosch Platinums with NGKs and the missing went away...??

Some on this board will differ with this, but it sure made a difference for me.