Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how fast could/should we go?

is there anything wrong with doing 100 mph in a 99 2.5L engine? (other than its against the law)

Will driving at, say, 90 mph for an hour or so really put A LOT of strain on the engine? (given that the engine has been well maintained?)

how fast can i take my 99obw? for those have maxed that sucker out...

I have run my 97 2.2 in between 95-100mph for about three hours straight on Rte 95. There was a truck plowing through the traffic with 3-4 cars running behind him. I had to break off when the tank got empty and I had to get off the highway.

That was over 4 years and 110,000 miles ago and I'm still running strong with 167,000.

I often run around 90 for an 1/2 to an hour.

I did find that with the the 2.2 I use more gas when running around 90. For every 30 minutes at 90mph I lose about 10 miles of my 300 mile tank.

I have had it over 100 in shorter bursts.

Always keep a watchful eye on coolant and oil levels.

I recently drove to Frankfurt from Copenhagen, eight hours of motorway, crusing at 95mph - 4500rpm. 12 year old EJ22 with 180k miles on it. Didn't even use any oil! And back again :D

I regularly visit 120mph, but mileage drops too far.....I have seen an indicated 130mph :burnout:

90 is not stressful at all, keep up the good work!

(Mobil 1, 5W-50, 6k intervals)

I didn't think there was anybody out there that cruises at 100mph. I fly at 100 all the time between Fort Wayne and Auburn. Really fun and a saves a lot of time...it is under ten minutes at that speed. I do not think that the 2.5 can handle the punishment a 2.2 can. However, it will handle "cruising speeds" of 100 mph for an extended duration of time. Make sure the car is broke in.....I think THIS is what happened to my 03 Legacy..(A/C failure)..driving to hard on the motor before break in...I was at 4400, but my salesperson told me to wait until 5000 to let it loose, Oops, I couldn't wait......I love the speed.

Josh

90 to 100 is definitely safe for that engine. A friend ran his EJ25 legacy from Fairbanks to Haines, which is about 650 miles, at 105 most of the way without any problems. I've ran my 86 wagon with 160000 miles on the car and about 50000 on the engine at 90-95 for durations of four to six hours without the the temp rising or the oil pressure going down a bit, and that is the absolute top speed of that car.

Subarus are TOUGH. They are designed to be run hard.