Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nissan 280ZX Turbo Injector Swap *DONE PROOF*

Steveman09

Ok I finally found a 83' Nissan 280ZX Turbo at the U-Pull-IT so I snagged 4 of the injectors and swapped em in. These injectors flow 259CC I verifed this here : http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/280%20Z31%20450HP%20UPGRADE.PDF

Retuned my fuel maps to make em work and I love it! It pulls like theres no tomarrow now, very nice boost in performance.

I also played around with Fuel Pressure and was amazed that at stock fuel pressure the stock ECU handles the injectors very well and it ran great, so this means you guys can swap these in with stock ecu's and get a little more flow without needed a new ECU!

Once you up the fuel pressure to the same as the Nissan's , then things get interesting :)

Enjoy the pics and video, more to come!

DIRECT SWAP NO MODS NEEDED (besides aftermarket managment)

Here's the video 3rd to end of 4th gear WOT PULL :

http://www.purehardware.com/subaru/videos/3rd-4thgearWOT.mov

PICS:

280zxturboinjectors.jpg

Hey, that's great! I have a couple of questions for you Steveman09.

1. How much boost are you running?

2. Are you running an aftermarket fuel pump?

3. What is the duty cycle like with the Nissan injectors?

4. What do you have the fuel pressure adjusted to?

I am just wondering. I have some plans to put into motion when I get back Stateside and just need to have a couple of things verified. My plans are probably going to include a Greddy E-Manage Ultimate, a Profec A(EBC), and some custom exhaust work. I'd greatly appreciate any help that you can lend.

Patrick

Hey, that's great! I have a couple of questions for you Steveman09.

1. How much boost are you running?

2. Are you running an aftermarket fuel pump?

3. What is the duty cycle like with the Nissan injectors?

4. What do you have the fuel pressure adjusted to?

I am just wondering. I have some plans to put into motion when I get back Stateside and just need to have a couple of things verified. My plans are probably going to include a Greddy E-Manage Ultimate, a Profec A(EBC), and some custom exhaust work. I'd greatly appreciate any help that you can lend.

Patrick

I'm running 12psi of boost on the VF7 right now, no intercooler, the engine has been fully rebuilt over 12k ago, When I rebuilt the motor I balanced and blueprinted the internals, used all OEM parts, and ported the heads. I'm using the Greddy E-Manage Blue w/Injector & Ignition Harness, Greddy MAP Sensor & Harness, the car has 2.25inch Stainless Exhaust from the CAT Back with No Muffler just a chrome Tip out by the bumper (sounds nice as you can hear from the video clip) Stock Fuel Pump, AEM FPR SET to 40psi at IDLE. Right now the Injector Duty Cycle is around 80% on the top end, but I am running it extra rich up top since I have no intercooler to minimize detonation probability, so in reality with an Intercooler the DUTY's would be around 65-70ish at the most@12psi which is perfect unless you planning for more boost or a bigger turbo, then these injectors wont work out.

But I can tell you this, these are a big improvment over the stockers performance wise, the car pulls VERY strong now and the No Power over 5k problem has disappeared, the car pulls hard up to 6500rpm now! The ported heads made a dramatic improvment when I built the engine, it was amazing how much material I actually removed, the ports opened up ALLOT!

I also played around with Fuel Pressure and was amazed that at stock fuel pressure the stock ECU handles the injectors very well and it ran great, so this means you guys can swap these in with stock ecu's and get a little more flow without needed a new ECU!

DIRECT SWAP NO MODS NEEDED (besides aftermarket managment)

;)

I have to wonder though.. the Z - injectors are 259cc/min, but at what PSI?

Seems the stockers came up into the 230s or 240s in a 43psi test.

Nice mod. Going to have to keep my eye on this.

;)

I have to wonder though.. the Z - injectors are 259cc/min, but at what PSI?

Seems the stockers came up into the 230s or 240s in a 43psi test.

Nice mod. Going to have to keep my eye on this.

The Z injectors are rated around 259cc at 32psi, which is what our stock fuel pressure is.

Someone told me awhile back when I got the Z injectors that they used higher fuel pressure at idle then we do, and that is incorrect I checked ALLDATA and the 83 280ZX Turbo states 32psi at idle which is what our fuel pressure is stock.

if anyone wants to get these injectors new, i found em at work for about $55 each. gp sorenson part # 8001010n

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=GPS&mfrpartnumber=8001010N&parttype=677&ptset=A

for any one that hasnt been to parts america, youll have to put in your zip code before you can view parts. i work for advance auto parts, but they own parts america from what i understand.

• 1 month later...
Excellent info! Thanks for posting this. This was the only missing link I had to turning up the boost on my RX turbo. I now know what to do once I get another old school scooby. I can't wait!

I can't wai to get a set and instlal them. Maybe then I won't have any leaning out issues at stock boost due to the TD04 flowing more air.

Thats actually good info. IIRC, the FSM puts our stock fuel pressure at 36psi above manifold pressure. That should actually yield more fuel than the Nissan factory 259cc/min

Looking better all the time

Nice, that's about 274 cc/min.

Until then, if one bumped up the fuel pressure on the stock injectors to 55 psi, they would flow 259 cc/min which is good for about 160 crank HP.

Nice, that's about 274 cc/min.

Until then, if one bumped up the fuel pressure on the stock injectors to 55 psi, they would flow 259 cc/min which is good for about 160 crank HP.

yes but you seem to forget that injectors have a limit themselves and unfortunalty, our injectors are already up into their 80% range. Bumping up the fuel pressure too much will max them out which isn't much for our injectors.

yes but you seem to forget that injectors have a limit themselves and unfortunalty, our injectors are already up into their 80% range. Bumping up the fuel pressure too much will max them out which isn't much for our injectors.

Yes but you seem to forget that I am using MSnS'e, will add a adj FPR, and walbro fuel pump, and no injector that I ever used locked up before 90-100 psi. 55 static +15 boost = 70psi which is incredibly reasonable.

I do not understand how basic EFI principles that apply to every other brand car do not apply in this case. Let me know what I am missing. Thanks!

Yes but you seem to forget that I am using MSnS'e, will add a adj FPR, and walbro fuel pump, and no injector that I ever used locked up before 90-100 psi. 55 static +15 boost = 70psi which is incredibly reasonable.

I do not understand how basic EFI principles that apply to every other brand car do not apply in this case. Let me know what I am missing. Thanks!

I thought of this a while ago, and WJM had already tried this. Bumping the pressure is a no go. It doesnt yield the flow one would expect. The hole in the injector will only squirt to a certain point, and they are already pushing their limits in stock form.