Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got this 1990 awd legacy wagon. It has 115k, it needed a o2 sensor an injector, tires, a starter and a timing belt. After that it runs well 24 mpg on the highway. We just got 12 inches of snow and what I suspected is true it is one wheel peel, the awd fuse is not in.

I read the haynes manual but I cant find any info on the awd system.

The tranny does shift a little poorly, it bags second and when in second it seems to decelerate a little then accelerate on what feels like a little upshift. I think this is a band adjustment but Im not all that sure.

Im suspecting the transfer case or tranny itself.

Thanks for the help

love this board

the drifter

Ps thanks for the help leg777 I did find a rebuild injector locally for 63 bucks.

I just got this 1990 awd legacy wagon. It has 115k, it needed a o2 sensor an injector, tires, a starter and a timing belt. After that it runs well 24 mpg on the highway. We just got 12 inches of snow and what I suspected is true it is one wheel peel, the awd fuse is not in.

I read the haynes manual but I cant find any info on the awd system.

The tranny does shift a little poorly, it bags second and when in second it seems to decelerate a little then accelerate on what feels like a little upshift. I think this is a band adjustment but Im not all that sure.

Im suspecting the transfer case or tranny itself.

Thanks for the help

love this board

the drifter

Ps thanks for the help leg777 I did find a rebuild injector locally for 63 bucks.

Has the transmission fluid been changed/flushed recently? You may want to start with that.

Have you tried putting the gear selector in 1 and seeing if you get more then one wheel peeling. Torque split will be 50/50 when the gear selector is physically in 1, and possibly 2.

Are you having someone watch on the outside to see if the rear wheels are going? Also, you don't have LSD, so if you're only looking at one side, the other side could be spinning.

josh

Has the transmission fluid been changed/flushed recently? You may want to start with that.

Have you tried putting the gear selector in 1 and seeing if you get more then one wheel peeling. Torque split will be 50/50 when the gear selector is physically in 1, and possibly 2.

Are you having someone watch on the outside to see if the rear wheels are going? Also, you don't have LSD, so if you're only looking at one side, the other side could be spinning.

josh

Josh

I changed the tranny fliud and added some lucas tranny fix. THe fluid smelled kinda burnt. Is there a filter or a screen in the tranny pan?

So are you saying it is only in 4w when its held in 1 or second gear?

I had a 87 honda awd wagon for 12 years and that car went thru anything. I never had a problem with the awd on that car.

I dont get the LSD reference.

Thanks

kenny

There is an internal screen on the transmission, but unless something has failed, and you have chunks in your transmission, you shouldn't have to worry about changing it.

Torque split under "normal" straight line driving conditions on the automatic are 90/10. As slip is detected, torque split can change from 90/10 to 50/50 as needed.

When you physically put the gear selector in 1, you force 50/50 torque split. I recommended that because it forces 50/50 torque split and would give you a better indication of whether the AWD is functioning.

The LSD reference was because, if you are just looking at the driver's side wheels by sticking your head out the window, the passenger rear tire may be moving. Which is why I asked if someone was outside the vehicle observing.