Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 compression

Hi,

I am curious to know what the compression for an EA71 is supposed to be as would be revealed in a compression test. I tried looking it up in my chiltons manual but where it tells you about compression testing it refers you to a chart which mentions nothing about what the compression should be.

The reason I ask is because my 78 brat went from 20MPG to like 10MPG and started smoking more than usual with a noticible drop in power. So I parked it hoping to salvage the block and started fixing my super beattle. Then I end up needing a new engine, so Im having a performance engine built for it so it could be 6 months or so before that shows up.

So I tested the compression on the subaru, all plugs out, with thread in compression tester, rotated to 6 pulses, 2 readings for each plug, with a battery charger handy to keep cranking power even.

Dry test I got: #1 160 psi, #2 160 PSI, #3 155 PSI, #4 160 PSI.

Plugs were all black and crudy, plugs for 1 and 3 were wet.

Wet test (squirted 2 squirts 10w30) : #1 180psi, #2 180 psi, #3 175 psi, #4 180psi.

Those numbers seem pretty good (high and even) so Im thinking the problem is probably with the carborator or vacume lines, but I want to know what the factory spec is.

Thanks in advance,

-Brian