Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New to this board

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ruggage

Ruggage

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Maple Valley, WA

Posted 15 October 2003 - 09:04 AM

Hi everbody. I am normally a chevy guy but I always liked
the Brat so I picked one up for $850, seems to be in fair shape.

The seller warned me that the car does not always idle/run well.
Well, of course if ran fine until I got it home and tried telling the
wife what a great running car this was.

The problem seems to be with the carb and thermal. Once it warms up it does not idle hardly at all. The choke does not
appear to be stuck open and it has 12 volts.

Any ideas would be apreciated.

Thanks,
Glen

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 15 October 2003 - 09:10 AM

Welcome to the board. Looks Like you live in the middle of subaru heaven. There are lots of people on the board around where you live, so replacement parts shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Sorry I couldn't help with your problem.. All my soobs have been Fuel Injected. Just wanted to say welcome.

#3 Guest_taprackready_*

Guest_taprackready_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2003 - 09:39 AM

I'd start with the fundementals just like it was a chevy. Start with a good baseline tuned up vehicle and you may just solve the problem in the process. I my brat was cutting out badly and I checked the fuel filter under the bed by the pump and it looked like it was full of mud. Changed it and the filter in the engine compartment and its a new vehicle all of a sudden. What year brat is yours?

Bill

#4 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 15 October 2003 - 09:45 AM

Welcome,

Sounds like you have isolated your prob to the carb area but.......

Have you done a basic tune up yet? Cap, rotor, plugs and wires work miracles with my old Subie? I have always maintained a cap and rotor will cure anything.

Might be a great starting point....

Brats are great cars/trucks.....crucks?

Glenn,
82 Hatch, transforming......:temper:
01 Forester, jealous.........:madder:

#5 soobme

soobme

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,871 posts
  • Medford OR

Posted 15 October 2003 - 10:24 AM

I would start with the tune up, fule filters, and clean the carb. U never know what might turn up while doing this, U may stumble on to an obvious problem in the prosess.

#6 Ruggage

Ruggage

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Maple Valley, WA

Posted 15 October 2003 - 11:20 AM

Appreciate the warm welcome guys. The Brat is an '82.

Will do as prescribed and start with the tune-up. Will post later
with results.

Thanks.
Glen

#7 electryc_monk

electryc_monk

Air-ride Airehead

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Denton, Tx

Posted 15 October 2003 - 04:54 PM

also a thought while'st doing the "tuning up" check the wire connections on stuff that your fiddlin' with. like the Dizzy, starter, and even the grounds.... I'm not talking use a magnafying glass but you know... a reasonable once over see if all the plugs are infact pushed together .....

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:34 PM

You say the choke does not appear to be stuck "open" - it should be completely open when warm - maybe it's toast.

The carburators on the Subaru's are notorious for running badly after 100k miles or so. You can rebuild them, or replace them, or for about the same cost as replacement, put a weber on instead.

I'm guessing yours is not the feedback carburator version, but if it is, then you could be looking at a bad O2 sensor, or something like that.

GD

#9 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:38 PM

Check for any vacuum leaks at all. Are you familiar with metric sockets? if you have a set, you can do anything to that car. An easy way to check for leaks is to let your car warm up and starts running like crap. Then get a can of carb cleaner and spray around the engine near hoses and the manifold. If you spray near a hose, and your idle picks up or smooths out, there is most likely a leak there somewhere.

Might not be a bad idea to check all the gaskets on the carb and intake manifold to make sure coolant isnt getting in your intake. That will make any subaru run like crap.

-Brian

#10 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,902 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 15 October 2003 - 11:17 PM

WOOHOO!!! Another Chevy guy:D it sounds like a carb problem to me. Brian, I don't think its a vacuum leak because it would do it all the time, not just when its warm. Me thinking the carb needs a rebuild cause something is sticking in a position when its not suppoed to be when its warm

#11 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,135 posts
  • WA

Posted 16 October 2003 - 03:24 AM

I'm with Taprack on this one. Replace the fuel filter(s). Not sure if it has 2, one in front of the right rear, and the other by the windshield wiper motor. Need to get yourself a manual for sure. Oh, and welcome to the board and the world of Subaru.
Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users