Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2L into a 64 bus

64DD Bus

Hey,

Anyone out there seen, heard of or done a transplant into a split window VW bus? I am quite interested in doing this, however, if someone has done it, maybe you have some advice? I just don't know where to put that darn radiator. I am looking at inside the engine compartment, one on either side to catch the air from the intake louvers. Also is it necessary to cut any metal from the engine compartment? Maybe you bug guys can chime in on that as our compartment outlines must be the same.

Let me know,

Thanks much,

Chris

Vanagon guy here...

Look at Kennedyeng.com for a link or phone number and call to inquire on their catalog.

I believe the bellhousing and starter are pretty much the same so mounting the engine should be as well the same as a Vanagon. From there, the wiring is virtually the same for any car to mount a 2.2 just put power where power is needed and add gauges. Wiring a Subaru ej22 isn't terrible.

Cooling will be your fun. I did an air cooled Vanagon conversion with 2 days worth of success. Overheated it and bailed on the conversion to dump the guts into a water cooled one with A/C.

Figure out where to put a Radiator and whether or not you want a heater core/heat and go from there. I heard rumor that there were busses made in Mexico with h20 cooling but never dug around on that.

Thanks for all the info. Yes, there are actually some Brazillian busses with water cooled engines and the radiators are up front. I really want to do this with the radiator hidden. There appears to be room inside on either side of the engine compartment. If I do a split radiator and mount one on each side, there should be enough cooling area, just not sure about air flow. The area is about 15 inches square on each side. How big is the standard radiator?

Anyone know if the 2.2L can be set into a standard air cooled bug/bus engine compartment without cutting any sheet metal on either side? I measured a 2.2 at 29" wide and the opening in my bus looks to 29-1/4" wide. Any protrusions that may get in the way? I figure that the rear skirt may need a little mod, maybe not.

Thanks,

Chris

My 60 VW panel van has an EA81 engine and it fit EASILY in the engine compartment,and I used the KEP adapter.

The radiator, a stock 80's suby was put in front of the engine cover,on hinges so it can tilt out, and a modified engine cover was installed.It has 2 cooling fans(electric) that pull air in from the back.It cools fine,but restricts engine access somewhat.

Look at my other posts for pix and more info.

• 4 weeks later...

Since one of my other cars is a 66 VW Microbus, complete with howling gear reduction boxes, a 1543.8 single port engine with dual Kadron carbs, and what my friend calls the DHMF (here is a clue....the DH stands for Ditch Hunting....you can guess the rest!) 4 wheel drum brakes that are ALWAYS a surprise as to which way the bus is going to go when you put the brakes on......I think you'd be WAY ahead of the game to measure the wheelbase/track of a legacy and compare that to the bus, then swap the legacy body for the bus body :banana: and retain things like an airbag!!:lol:

Since one of my other cars is a 66 VW Microbus, complete with howling gear reduction boxes, a 1543.8 single port engine with dual Kadron carbs, and what my friend calls the DHMF (here is a clue....the DH stands for Ditch Hunting....you can guess the rest!) 4 wheel drum brakes that are ALWAYS a surprise as to which way the bus is going to go when you put the brakes on......I think you'd be WAY ahead of the game to measure the wheelbase/track of a legacy and compare that to the bus, then swap the legacy body for the bus body :banana: and retain things like an airbag!!:lol:

And a working heater!!