Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am curious what is your opinions on the earlier Impreza wagons. My Loyale is getting close to being retired from being a daily driver due to just too many issues (all small ones) to take care of while it is driven every day. I have no plans on selling it because it has just been entirely too dependable for the past 2 and a half years.

What years did the Imprezas have the non-interferece motors? How about head gasket issues? How dependable is the AWD system in them (every Subaru I have ever owned has been FWD)? Any other known quirks? What about the Impreza Sport wagons? I keep leaning towards them and am kinda hoping to hear that they are just as good as my EA82 (193,000 miles and still runs like a champ).

Thanks for any input...

Pretty indestructable cars. The AWD systems work flawlessly, but torque bind is experienced on some automatics. They handle great, the EJ18/EJ22 engine is bulletproof. If you end up with a 2.5L wagon, it will have to be at least a 2002. I believe the EJ22 engine changed to interference for 1997-2001, so that means that 1993-1996 had the non-interference motors....someone else chime in on that though.

Kevin

Pretty similar to an EA82 wagon, but with ALOT more power. I was riding in a friend's Impreza 2.2 last weekend, and man, did it have alot more power than my GL -- accelerating up hills in 4th that my GL would be readlined in 3rd, but without a hope of keeping RPM up if I'd shifted to 4th. You don't notice the added power of the EJ22 as much in the Legacies since they're heavier cars, but the Imprezas are closer to the weight of the EA82's I think.

Gas mileage is similar to the 4wd EA82's, but probably not as good as the 2wd EA82's.

At Least Get Your Loyale To 200,000 Miles First!

Please!

It's Begging You!

Only 7,000 More Miles!

LOL...I have no intentions of completely retiring my Bucky..I am going for 300,000 miles or he falls apart...whichever comes first. Actually living here in the Rust belt I want to keep him and eventually fix all thats wrong with him. I LOVE this Loyale ( just ask anyone over in the Older Gen).

Thanks for the advise on the Imprezas...Definately think I am going to look at the earlier models (sorry I dont want to give up non-interferece motors.)

Kevin is correct on the interference engines starting with the '97 model year (could be manufactured in late '96 and be considered a '97). My wife loves her '97 Impreza wagon and I enjoy driving it more than my Legacy wagon. Hers is a 5 speed (we don't think much of automatics....personal opinion there). Handling of the AWD Impreza is vastly superior to the Loyale. I know the 2.2L engine has superior power; 'don't know how the 1.8 compares. Car is also much easier to service for certain things (axle swap for instance and timing belt is also much easier). I don't think you can go wrong.

Kevin is correct on the interference engines starting with the '97 model year (could be manufactured in late '96 and be considered a '97). My wife loves her '97 Impreza wagon and I enjoy driving it more than my Legacy wagon. Hers is a 5 speed (we don't think much of automatics....personal opinion there). Handling of the AWD Impreza is vastly superior to the Loyale. I know the 2.2L engine has superior power; 'don't know how the 1.8 compares. Car is also much easier to service for certain things (axle swap for instance and timing belt is also much easier). I don't think you can go wrong.

Thanks Ed..you know I value your opinion..you are such a great guy. I definately think I want to start looking for one..preferably a white 5 spd ( hate automatics and just seem partial to white wagons). Now if I can find one cheap..probably have to wait till spring when the AWD/4WD demand is over.