Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any way to have a D/R 4WD into an Impreza?

I know there are D/R AWD in 2.0X Foresters (not available everywhere, and not here in Canada). I know the first generations Impreza first had a 4WD instead of the actual AWD (maybe not everywhere, but here it was the case up to about '96-'97)

I'm wondering if there's any way to have the mix between 'em. 4WD with D/R... as the older EA series did in some model. Take an older 4WD Impreza and put a dual range in it.

Any way?

Check the marketplace forums and do a search for ea ej adapter plate. Someone out in the Pacific NW has got an adapter plate available to mount an EJ engine up to an EA tranny... for the exact purpose you're mentioning (getting D/R 4wd in a newer body style without having to go overseas).

If'n I remember right, there was quite a discussion about the details...

<<I know the first generations Impreza first had a 4WD instead of the actual AWD (maybe not everywhere, but here it was the case up to about '96-'97)>>

the 4EAT was an AWD transmission. subaru started putting them in the xt-6. not sure why they would go back and put old technology into a newer car (impreza). i would like to see the 4WD impreza myself.

Check the marketplace forums and do a search for ea ej adapter plate. Someone out in the Pacific NW has got an adapter plate available to mount an EJ engine up to an EA tranny... for the exact purpose you're mentioning (getting D/R 4wd in a newer body style without having to go overseas).

If'n I remember right, there was quite a discussion about the details...

There are a few sources for EJ-EA adapter plates in the Pacific NW, but I make them as well, right here 2 hrs. north of Albany, 2 hrs. south of Quebec...

Anyway, there are a couple of threads out there on this subject, it has been done, in many ways it's just like putting an EJ motor into an EA with a D/R... please search, and ye shall find :)

With the difference that... I'd like to keep the drivetrain all EJ, not use an EA tranny.

I never did look at an older Impreza, but I remember I red that it was a temporary 4WD, not to use it all the time as newer does as it could damage it. So I thought it was the same kind of 4WD that was in EA cars.

The idea is that I really love the ''locked central diff'' (transfer case... that is) on my '92 Loyale, it works way better in snow than my Impreza does (2000 Brighton) and I'd like to get the same thrill on an EJ tranny. And... If i was able to get it D/R too...

If there's any way to lock the central diff on an AWD I'd just go that way. it would be easier.

With the difference that... I'd like to keep the drivetrain all EJ, not use an EA tranny.

I never did look at an older Impreza, but I remember I red that it was a temporary 4WD, not to use it all the time as newer does as it could damage it. So I thought it was the same kind of 4WD that was in EA cars.

The idea is that I really love the ''locked central diff'' (transfer case... that is) on my '92 Loyale, it works way better in snow than my Impreza does (2000 Brighton) and I'd like to get the same thrill on an EJ tranny. And... If i was able to get it D/R too...

If there's any way to lock the central diff on an AWD I'd just go that way. it would be easier.

If you have an AT, there is an easy way lock the center diff.

Only manual tranny are allowed hehe ;)

Seriously, I just red little more... and it seems that only AWD were produced in Impreza, as in Legacy. Too bad...

Wondering... is the STi tranny lockable? I think we can choose the fr/rr torque ratio, but can it be locked at 50/50?

Only manual tranny are allowed hehe ;)

Seriously, I just red little more... and it seems that only AWD were produced in Impreza, as in Legacy. Too bad...

Wondering... is the STi tranny lockable? I think we can choose the fr/rr torque ratio, but can it be locked at 50/50?

If you put the potentiometer slider thing in the middle, it should be a 50/50.. or.. wait

i think i read somewhere that it's 'default' ratio front/back is 40/60? can anyone verify that?

I red 2 different versions of this.

In both there is a switch to choose from locked, manual (you choose) and auto (the car chooses).

What is different is what it actually controls... I red somewhere it was the split ratio and somewhere else it was the % of the ''lock'' (from 0 to 100%, so not locked, partially locked, fully locked).