Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Baja Car Ideas - HELP

burtonsnowman

My friends and I really want to build a Baja car. We have no idea what do do, though. Should we get a Legacy and work on it? Should we get a Loyale? I know you have to have an engine that was offeref in the model year of your car, so should I get a Legacy and EJ22H it? Or maybe a '91 Loyale and do an ER27 swap? What ever will I do?

Help!

Loyale's are lighter, but legacys can loose a lot of weight if you strip them out. EG33 swap into a legacy would be sick, that's the engine out of the SVX, which will bolt up to the legacy tranny. Legacy's have less ground clearance, but with some skid plating it doesn't matter. I believe the suspension is more rugged in a legacy. AWD vs 4WD doesn't seem to make that much of a difference at high speed. Both handle really naturally.

I'm leaning toward a first gen legacy. 1994 and earlier.

by baja, you mean like the cali-to- mexico baja, like the baja1000? if your going for long distance and durablilty, id go legacy outback. taller ground clearance, can fit nice beefy tires under it, and it came with the 4.44 front and rear diffs. i wonder what year the EZ30 was first offered...i think it was 2000, so you cant throw that in it.....but you can throw a EG33 out of an SVX like previously stated. if you go outback...i would get an inch or so longer springs with less spring rate so you can travel over deep ruts and big bumps easily without breaking your spine. also, try to strengthen the chassis as much as possible.

P.S. is there a minimum weight you have to weigh.....cause we can tell you what you can do to shave 300-400 lbs off that monster.

~Josh~

:banana: but he said it didnt have to be a engine offered in that body style, just in that model Year. Eh, u would probably be way better off doing it to a legacy. all though, a baja ea82 would be sick! good luck with this man

ahhh....well....nevermind then.....I vote loyale with EG33

Oh yeah, baby...

Too expensive and not as cool as an earlier model, dude.

LEGACY ALL THE WAY!

1990-up

go with an allwheeldrive

no need for the 6-cyl the ej22 has plenty of juice.

look at camberg engineering .com they are THE offrado fab shop and they could leghten the control arms and set it up with coilovers all around....then a full cage.....etc etc....I have been thinking about the same project for a year....DO IT!....GO!:)

LEGACY ALL THE WAY!

1990-up

go with an allwheeldrive

no need for the 6-cyl the ej22 has plenty of juice.

Yeah, I was thinking kind of the same thing--AWD, maybe turbo the EJ22? I don't know--I think overall I would have the same amount of money (A LOT!) into whatever I do, so really it's just about weighing the possibilities and choosing which one I want. Has anyone done this in the past? Got any helpful info on which choices would be bad choices? What are the strong and weak points of each option?

So...how would you guys make the ultimate Baja suspension setup for...

-An EA82?

-A Legacy?

-Any other good, cheap, modify-able Subaru?

As far as power and parts availability go, EJ22 is probably the best route, right?

But...do I use a Legacy or a Loyale with the EJ motor?

Boy, this is tough.

what was the last year the loyale was made? and what was the first year the SVX was made? if they overlap then you can throw the EG33 in a loyale. but for parts availibility id go EJ22, since the 1990 legacy had one, and i know the loyale went until at least 1990, there you go. now just get some huge fender flares for it and lengthen the control arms by about 3-4'' and maybe a small mini-lift(like 1-2'') to get the camber back into normal range. daydreaming.....:burnout:

~Josh~

Dude, seriously.

I want to BUILD a car - not make a Dr. Frankenstein creation of a million "RETROFITTED" parts. All I'm looking for is help with an OFF-ROAD vehicle - if that entails swapping in something from something else from another sube from time to time, cool. But that's not all I'm looking for (obviously).

Oh yeah, one more thing...

Including
That's not a sentence

And...

Tranny swap.
Nobody said a word about tranny swaps:burnout: