Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changing from MPH to KM/H on Digital Dash. . .

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KNIGHTRIDER

KNIGHTRIDER

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:30 PM

Hey All,

I have an '87 GL-10 Turbo 4WD Station Wagon and have an Digital Dash. I was wondering how do you change MPH to KM/H, because I can see the KM/H, but just don't know how to switch it on. I have looked in the manual, but can't find anything to tell me to change it.

A side note question, why did they change the dash to that green one starting '87 from that orange looking one from before?? Is it possible to change your dash lights to an custom color, like red or blue or something???

Thanks,

KNIGHT RIDER :headbang:

#2 uss_essess

uss_essess

The Subaru Grim Reaper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:46 PM

May or may not help, but here is another thread on the subject.

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=22554

#3 KNIGHTRIDER

KNIGHTRIDER

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:28 PM

May or may not help, but here is another thread on the subject.

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=22554

I see what you mean. Thanks, but it really doesn't help me. However, if anyone has ideas, please let me know. :confused:

#4 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:41 PM

Look for a button with the letters mph/kph. I think it may be on the trip computer. I'll look at the GL10 in the driveway and let you know.

#5 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,130 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:38 AM

Having had an 86 and an 87 GL-10.... the 86 had the orange dash... pretty cool when it worked. Animated turbo indicator, MPH/KPH conversion button, digital everything.

The 87 was nicer in my opinion even though I am pretty darn sure it lacked the conversion button and the turbo was just a green light... the tach was a bunch of bars that would light up as you revved... much easier to read, harder to hit the warning buzzer :rolleyes:

I personally doubt you could change the color, but someone with enough electronics knowledge could probably find a way.

The older oranges dashes while cool, were VERY hard to read in the light and often malfunctioned. The 87+ ones I have never had an issue with.

But to answer your question... I am 85% sure that the newer style dashes dont have a conversion button.

#6 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:12 AM

Having had an 86 and an 87 GL-10.... the 86 had the orange dash... pretty cool when it worked. Animated turbo indicator, MPH/KPH conversion button, digital everything.

The 87 was nicer in my opinion even though I am pretty darn sure it lacked the conversion button and the turbo was just a green light... the tach was a bunch of bars that would light up as you revved... much easier to read, harder to hit the warning buzzer :rolleyes:

I personally doubt you could change the color, but someone with enough electronics knowledge could probably find a way.

The older oranges dashes while cool, were VERY hard to read in the light and often malfunctioned. The 87+ ones I have never had an issue with.

But to answer your question... I am 85% sure that the newer style dashes dont have a conversion button.

Mine does not, as far as I know.

#7 KNIGHTRIDER

KNIGHTRIDER

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:39 PM

True, however how come in the background you can see the km??? I haven't found a button as of yet either, but if it is in the background there has to be a button to turn it on. . . At least, that's what I would think. Maybe other people have found it?? :confused:

#8 WagonsOnly

WagonsOnly

Now only WagonsMostly.

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  • North Central CT

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:02 AM

No, there is no button. There may very well be a jumper behind the dash (I strongly suspect there is) to switch into metric--but--I have not removed my digidash and don't know for sure. The '87 and later digidashes (the green ones) are MUCH more reliable; the only one I've had go south on me is the one in my current daily driver (there's a short somewhere that I haven't been able to find, sometimes it dims, sometimes it doesn't) out of 4 I've owned; out of the 3 orange ones I've had none have been fully functional and one was totally dead.

There's a km/h reading in the background so that Subaru can use the same dashboards across model lines and countries without having to pay for retooling. Doesn't mean we can use the km/h reading easily, unfortunately.

#9 stickedy

stickedy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Kronach/Bavaria/Germany

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:26 PM

For the records: Yes, there is jumper (in fact it's a connector with two pins and a piece of wire between this two pins.) inside the dash.

Look here for more: http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=67308

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users