Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing from MPH to KM/H on Digital Dash. . .

Hey All,

I have an '87 GL-10 Turbo 4WD Station Wagon and have an Digital Dash. I was wondering how do you change MPH to KM/H, because I can see the KM/H, but just don't know how to switch it on. I have looked in the manual, but can't find anything to tell me to change it.

A side note question, why did they change the dash to that green one starting '87 from that orange looking one from before?? Is it possible to change your dash lights to an custom color, like red or blue or something???

Thanks,

KNIGHT RIDER :headbang:

Having had an 86 and an 87 GL-10.... the 86 had the orange dash... pretty cool when it worked. Animated turbo indicator, MPH/KPH conversion button, digital everything.

The 87 was nicer in my opinion even though I am pretty darn sure it lacked the conversion button and the turbo was just a green light... the tach was a bunch of bars that would light up as you revved... much easier to read, harder to hit the warning buzzer :rolleyes:

I personally doubt you could change the color, but someone with enough electronics knowledge could probably find a way.

The older oranges dashes while cool, were VERY hard to read in the light and often malfunctioned. The 87+ ones I have never had an issue with.

But to answer your question... I am 85% sure that the newer style dashes dont have a conversion button.

Having had an 86 and an 87 GL-10.... the 86 had the orange dash... pretty cool when it worked. Animated turbo indicator, MPH/KPH conversion button, digital everything.

The 87 was nicer in my opinion even though I am pretty darn sure it lacked the conversion button and the turbo was just a green light... the tach was a bunch of bars that would light up as you revved... much easier to read, harder to hit the warning buzzer :rolleyes:

I personally doubt you could change the color, but someone with enough electronics knowledge could probably find a way.

The older oranges dashes while cool, were VERY hard to read in the light and often malfunctioned. The 87+ ones I have never had an issue with.

But to answer your question... I am 85% sure that the newer style dashes dont have a conversion button.

Mine does not, as far as I know.

No, there is no button. There may very well be a jumper behind the dash (I strongly suspect there is) to switch into metric--but--I have not removed my digidash and don't know for sure. The '87 and later digidashes (the green ones) are MUCH more reliable; the only one I've had go south on me is the one in my current daily driver (there's a short somewhere that I haven't been able to find, sometimes it dims, sometimes it doesn't) out of 4 I've owned; out of the 3 orange ones I've had none have been fully functional and one was totally dead.

There's a km/h reading in the background so that Subaru can use the same dashboards across model lines and countries without having to pay for retooling. Doesn't mean we can use the km/h reading easily, unfortunately.

• 8 months later...