Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loyale Clock and OEM Radio

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bgd73

bgd73

Banned - WARNING! Disregard EVERYTHING posted by this user

• Banned
  • 1,210 posts
  • Concrete Glacier

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:30 AM

Do these two things interact?
The clock was burnt (no loose contacts, outright little fire , all done !)
Upon removing clock, I blew clock fuse and radio quit. Radio fuse is still good. Replaced clock fuse and radio now works. I pull radio fuse, radio still quits.It needs both.
The radio's wiring has been changed. 35+ ft to make true 4 channel speaker setup. The original wiring with shared grounds was an electronics tragedy waiting to happen(Of course it did...Twice.Including the clock.)
Just another shared ground to ignore? There's two fuses of safety rather than one :)
Also, any cool replacements for the clock area? I put in oil guage that lit up when lights were on. I was asked more than once if it was a turbo guage.:lol:

#2 Bill90Loyale

Bill90Loyale

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:24 AM

Standard resistor burn out in the clock.
http://www.ultimates....ad.php?t=26603

#3 bgd73

bgd73

• Banned
  • 1,210 posts
  • Concrete Glacier

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:02 AM

I have since lost the circuit board for this clock. there is four wires. Anyone know what they do? I can only assume power and ground, what is the other mystery wires?

#4 msteel

msteel

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:51 AM

I have since lost the circuit board for this clock. there is four wires. Anyone know what they do? I can only assume power and ground, what is the other mystery wires?

Since the clock dims when the headlights are on, one of the wires will be connected either to the headlights or the instrument lights.

#5 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:02 PM

The 4 wires are for ground, constant power (fused to battery, similar to what the radio needs to maintain station presets), ignition-switched power (to let the display come on when the ignition turns on), and dash-illumination-circuit power (to tell the clock display to dim when lights are on).

Typically the power resistor for the display's illumination power will overheat, damage its solder joints, and sometimes just burn out. This can also happen to the resistor that handles the dimmed-illumination power.

#6 bgd73

bgd73

• Banned
  • 1,210 posts
  • Concrete Glacier

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:02 PM

The 4 wires are for ground, constant power (fused to battery, similar to what the radio needs to maintain station presets), ignition-switched power (to let the display come on when the ignition turns on), and dash-illumination-circuit power (to tell the clock display to dim when lights are on).

Typically the power resistor for the display's illumination power will overheat, damage its solder joints, and sometimes just burn out. This can also happen to the resistor that handles the dimmed-illumination power.

excellent reply!
I am yet again cutting and pasting into my home made "hillbilly sube manual"..
thank You. I will post how to utilize this with a direct line guage I want to install.. complete with dimming.the extra clock wire going to battery may go to my new radio, It will help split up the power consumption different than oem. I have run my own already, but if I had known these wires I wouldn't have had to.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users