Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Clock and OEM Radio

bgd73

Do these two things interact?

The clock was burnt (no loose contacts, outright little fire , all done !)

Upon removing clock, I blew clock fuse and radio quit. Radio fuse is still good. Replaced clock fuse and radio now works. I pull radio fuse, radio still quits.It needs both.

The radio's wiring has been changed. 35+ ft to make true 4 channel speaker setup. The original wiring with shared grounds was an electronics tragedy waiting to happen(Of course it did...Twice.Including the clock.)

Just another shared ground to ignore? There's two fuses of safety rather than one :)

Also, any cool replacements for the clock area? I put in oil guage that lit up when lights were on. I was asked more than once if it was a turbo guage.:lol:

• 7 months later...
I have since lost the circuit board for this clock. there is four wires. Anyone know what they do? I can only assume power and ground, what is the other mystery wires?

Since the clock dims when the headlights are on, one of the wires will be connected either to the headlights or the instrument lights.

I have since lost the circuit board for this clock. there is four wires. Anyone know what they do? I can only assume power and ground, what is the other mystery wires?

The 4 wires are for ground, constant power (fused to battery, similar to what the radio needs to maintain station presets), ignition-switched power (to let the display come on when the ignition turns on), and dash-illumination-circuit power (to tell the clock display to dim when lights are on).

Typically the power resistor for the display's illumination power will overheat, damage its solder joints, and sometimes just burn out. This can also happen to the resistor that handles the dimmed-illumination power.

The 4 wires are for ground, constant power (fused to battery, similar to what the radio needs to maintain station presets), ignition-switched power (to let the display come on when the ignition turns on), and dash-illumination-circuit power (to tell the clock display to dim when lights are on).

Typically the power resistor for the display's illumination power will overheat, damage its solder joints, and sometimes just burn out. This can also happen to the resistor that handles the dimmed-illumination power.

excellent reply!

I am yet again cutting and pasting into my home made "hillbilly sube manual"..

thank You. I will post how to utilize this with a direct line guage I want to install.. complete with dimming.the extra clock wire going to battery may go to my new radio, It will help split up the power consumption different than oem. I have run my own already, but if I had known these wires I wouldn't have had to.:)