Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber Swap Done! How to Connect Heads Tubes?

Thank you very much for resurrecting this thread. I've decided to buy the Weber today and put it on my '86 EA-82 (no power steering so that'll be easy). I am a little leery about drililng and tapping in the 8mm screws as I have never done machine work like that. Is is absolutely necessary?

Yes!

Otherwise vacuum leaks, and unnecessary work in removing it / reinstalling it again, will be in your future.

So, is Better to do it First, Prior to Install the Weber, so when you got the K731 Kit, remove the intake manifold, and send it along with one of the 8 mm bolts, to the Machine shop, and ask 'em to drill and tap the intake for those bolts, at exactly the same places where original bolts were.

Good Luck! :burnout:

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my subie is now Weberized! What a difference. As advised I took the 17/64 drillbit to the intake manifold, enlarged the 6mm holes, then tapped in new 8mm threads. It was surprisingly easy and I hadn't ever tapped in threads before. My car had California emissions and an insane number of gadgets and vacuum tubes all over the place. I removed a bunch of stuff, bypassed other stuff, and ended up needing the carb cleaner to chase down a couple of vacuum leaks, but it runs great now.

Here is a pic of the right tap to buy and a view of how the two different bolts in question fit the adapter.

tap.jpg

Singlecoil: Don't forget to Wash Carefully the Intake Manifold Before put it Back Again to the Engine, otherwise the Metallic debris will shear the engine's internals very badly.

I washed mine with Household detergent 

WashingtheIntake.jpg

But then I needed a couple of brand new Subaru Gaskets... Kind Regards.

GD: Maybe Yours is a EA81? those Kits come in the Right Size...

I've done both - multiple times. And I've put over 20,000 miles on my 86 EA82 with the Weber and it's not come loose yet. I used the bolts that came with the kit. Can't remember if I used the black ones or the silver ones for the bottom plate, but I know I didn't tap anything.

GD

You must have used the silver ones. I would have used those as well, but I would have felt guilty after reading this thread. :D After seeing for myself how poorly the silver ones seated I set out to buy 6mm bolts with the larger heads. Unfortunately I was tackling this on a Sunday in a small town and couldn't find the bolts I was seeking. But I could find the 8mm tap. I didn't want to remove the manifold from the car so I just stuffed a rag into the intake, grabbed my cordless drill and went for it. I was careful not to drill too deep with the 17/64 bit. Then the tapping the threads part was pretty easy. I just kept it as straight as I could until it seated itself and used a 7mm wrench to turn it into the manifold. I did each hole twice because the metal shavings seem to get in the way a little. I then got the Dyson vacuum out (over the wife's objections) and vacuumed the whole area very thoroughly. I'm sure nothing got inside the intake.

...and yes, I do like the animated pic on the engine :clap: very cool.

...and thanks General; if it wasn't for your comments on my thread about the 3 codes on my ECU I wouldn't have known about the Weber solution.

• 3 months later...

I've received lots of Questions regarding the Weber Carburetor retrofitting, via Private Messages and e-mail, so I am now gathering all the information and Photos of the procedures I did, and will share everything here, @ USMB, on a Writeup regarding the Subject.

Kind Regards.

• 1 month later...

Due to the Lack of a good source of complete information on the subject; I did a complete Writeup regarding the Weber Carburetor Retrofitting on EA82 engines, but also it works for EA81 engines; it is plenty of Step by Step Procedures, supported by many, many detailed Photos, hoping that it will be Helpful for other Subaru owners / mechanics in need for a complete resource on the Subject.

The Writeup is Here: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/71510-ideas-on-swaping-a-weber-carb-on-ea82%C2%B4s/

Kind Regards.

The way you have it rigged now, you might as well have replaced the PCV valve with a plug. It serves no purpose if the only thing it's sucking through is a filter.

I understand what you are writing, it is regarding how I connected the P.C.V. system.

Then I only followed directions written by Subarian, which were confirmed to be alright, by General Disorder. However, I investigated further in the Subject, and found that such setup was completely Wrong, as you stated above.

I already changed the P.C.V. system Setup completely, in order to let the P.C.V. Valve to suck the harmful vapors out from the Crankcase, and the entire P.C.V. system is working as the Factory intended.

The detailed explanations and Photos regarding the Correct P.C.V. setup on EA82's with Weber carburetors, is on my complete Writeup regarding the Weber Carburetor Retrofitting, whose web link is in my Post Above; however, as the Writeup is pretty Long, you can reach directly to the P.C.V. system setup Photos, on this other Thread:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/114260-oil-catch-can-in-ea82/page-2

Here is a Quote of my post with the Photos, from there:

PCVConnection1.gif

PCVConnection2.gif

So, the P.C.V. system is fully functional now.

Kind Regards.