Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I hate the auto parts store

It's like, no matter how much info you give them, they still ask you about 20 questions about your car. I just went in for spark plugs, wires, and filters, and it was like I was repeating myself over again and again. It was like this:

"I need plugs for an '86 Subaru GL 3-Door"

After he's messing around on the computer for a minute:

'So you need plugs for a '98 Subaru, what model?'

"NO, '86 Subaru GL 3-Door"

'OH'

While he's typing I say:

"It's a 1.8 Liter, Carbeurated, Non Turbo, 2WD, GL 3-Door Coupe"

'Is it Turbo?'

"NO, it's non-turbo"

'Coupe?'

"YES"

'Ok'

He get's the plugs and tells me he has to order the wires.

"I need an oil filter too"

'So you need an oil fiter for a 1.6 Liter...'

"NO, a 1.8 Liter"

'4WD or......'

"2WD!"

'Alright, Non-Turbo?'

"YES!"

Then he gets me what I hope is the correct oil filter.

It will never stop. :banghead:

Hehe. Thats like when I went to napa on Friday adn checked the price on rear axles. The guy tried selling me two seperate axles. One from a EA82 (right side) and for the left side was a 3dr hatch axle for the OHV engine.

I laughed and asked if i could staighten out there computers.

Do not hate your auto parts store. They have fun cleaning fluids to consider buying when you need to kill some time, and sometimes beat Wal Mart on oil sales.

Meanwhile, buy NGK plugs and Baldwin or Wix oil filters. Keep the little boxes so you can remember the numbers.

For all other parts:

1. Junkyard; or

http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/

Do not hate your auto parts store. They have fun cleaning fluids to consider buying when you need to kill some time, and sometimes beat Wal Mart on oil sales.

Meanwhile, buy NGK plugs and Baldwin or Wix oil filters. Keep the little boxes so you can remember the numbers.

For all other parts:

1. Junkyard; or

http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/

Well, I don't hate them. I just get annoyed that this is all they do and they can't remember what I just told them. The guys at AutoZone are better than the guy I dealt with today and he's been there since the store opened a decade ago.

The guys at my favorite parts store know me so well, they dont even have to ask anymore!!! :lol: no, I am not in there that much - once a month maybe (with two on the road, and working on a 3rd one). altho I do throw them for a loop every now and then when i go to get something for my mother's chevy. :grin:

I guess I am lucky, or maybe it is because I have taken the time to talk to these guys like human beings, but I always get great service from them - or maybe they think it is cool that a female knows just as much about cars as they do! :D (and personally, wont deal with NAPA if you paid me too!)

last time i went to NAPA for an XT6 part they handed me a distributor with 4 ignition wire points?? for a 6 cylinder car, he showed the computer and part number and sure enough it was "right". my guess is they've updated that since then, it was many years ago. at least that was easy to tell it wasn't right.

Checker auto seems to have an incomplete list. Went into one for plugs for my XT6, and for the year 88, the 6 wasn't listed. Said, let's try an 89. Nope, no 6 listed for an 89 either. Let's try a 90, hey! Its listed for a 90. Wait, they never made an XT in the year 1990... :lol:

The guys at my favorite parts store know me so well, they dont even have to ask anymore!!! :lol: no, I am not in there that much - once a month maybe (with two on the road, and working on a 3rd one). altho I do throw them for a loop every now and then when i go to get something for my mother's chevy. :grin:

I guess I am lucky, or maybe it is because I have taken the time to talk to these guys like human beings, but I always get great service from them - or maybe they think it is cool that a female knows just as much about cars as they do! :D (and personally, wont deal with NAPA if you paid me too!)

you really beleive that you get great service because you talk to them and not because your a female??:rolleyes: but you have to give them a break they dont make that much :horse: and the fumes from some of those chemicals :drunk: might affect their service, so just bear with them :banghead: and eventually theirs a possibility that they get it right:headbang:

The absolute worst is when your wheels are down, and you have to special order a part that turns out to be incorrect:mad: !!

Another example of why it's important to take charge of matters regarding your car. The time spent researching, or removing a part will pay off when you get the right part - the first time.

The person behind the counter can make or break you - especially if you are unprepared. And any more, getting good counter help is the exception. A lot of the parts stores (especially discount) are run like supermarkets, and they are overly dependant upon the software to track down parts. As a result, the staff is not trained for oddball situations like you'll run into with Subes sometimes. Computers and part # databases are no subsititution for experience. There is a definite trade off between price and service at the cheapo parts stores, so you better be looking out for yourself.

I used to recommend the "professional" type places for parts, and while they are generally a cut above, I've noticed that they are starting to rely on those computer programs - and making the same dumb-rump roast mistakes.

Look for a parts dealer that still looks things up in catalogues, and has multiple sources for parts. Those are the guys that'll take care of you.

good luck, John