Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant leaks

The 91 loyale starts to develop some coolant leaks. It seems from lower engine timing cover, below the water pump. It drips pretty bad!

What gives? Water pump or its seals? any other possiblities? If it is water pump, how hard is it to replace? Can someone provide me with instructions.

Thanks a lot!

I'm wagering it's the water pump. There's a weep hole on the bottom side (stock pump anyway) that's usually the first to go.

But, yeah, you gotta isolate it to be sure.

It's not major engine work to replace it, just a tad more work than replacing timing belts (which is part of the job, the water pump sits behind the t-belts). If you get into this, ask about other things you should do at the same time....

Whatever you do, don't put any radiator stop-leak in!!!!!! On a 12-year old Subaru, it'll start a chain of events leading up to buying a new radiator. Trust me......

-- Mark

remove the clutch fan using a 7/8 (or 22mm) on the fan shaft, and a 10mm on the nuts.

once the fan is out, remove the radiator by the 2 12mm bolts on the top.

dont forget the at lines if its an auto.

there is a drain plug on the passenger bottom side of the radiator

with the radiator out, you got all kinds of room to service the water pump. there are 5 10mm bolts, one of them is shorter than the rest. there is a water tube that goes to the upper hose, it pops put of the pump end, but there is a 12mm bolt that holds it to the driver side head, and a ground wire atatches to it. you may have to swing the alternator out of the way if iut has the panasonic ac system