Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SVX Question

SyntheticBlinkerFluid

Something about the engine spinning an opposite direction of a Subaru sticks with me.

Also, Hobart Kennedy is known for having put Corvair engines in VW Busses in the past so I would imagine he would know something about it. Try sending an email to Kennedy Engineered Products, their website is here: kennedyeng.com

3.3L, 230 hp. Yes, it's been done. I've got a lot of pics and info on it, including the 2 donor cars (I was going to do it- lost interest).

You end up with a mid-engine RWD configuration. No back seat.

Don't think Kennedy makes the adapter plate.

did someone say they're looking for a Corvair engine !! :brow:

breaffyaviation, i've got a '65 coupe i've been looking to get rid of, might be interested in that trade. also i live just south of Madison, WI (2 1/2 hrs north of Chicago) and the 'Vair is in beloit, also sent you a PM, let me know.

in regard to the SVX 'Vair, you can bolt a corvair engine into a bug, and a sube engine into a bug, i don't see why you wouldn't be able to put a sube into a 'vair as far as the rotation is concerned they should be the same. if the sube engine did rotated opposite of the 'vair, you could just flip the differential portion of the 'vair transaxle, just my .02

ryan

I have a 97OBW that I drive 100 miles every day for work. I am looking to boost MPG. Here is what I plan... Swapping SVX differentials (3.54) with my stock ones (which are either 4.11 or 4.44 - depending where you look on the web).

If I can't find a SVX, then there are WRXs out there with 3.70s which would still be better.

After the swap, I will put on the UnOrthodox underdrive pulley to help remove the parasitic losses and help spin those tall gears. I am hoping for consistantly over 30MPG with nearly all highway driving.

ANYBODY WHAT TO SWAP DIFFERENTIALS???? if there is a good mechanic out there, we could probably do it in a weekend, everyone wins, taller gears for me, shorter gears for someone that wants the acceleration. I am outside of Rockford, IL (about 1.5 hours west of Chicago)... email me at kevin.koss@us.army.mil