Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
CV axle removal - ball joint stuck in spindle
Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:10 PM
Any ideas appreciated,
Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:55 PM
Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:00 AM
Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:06 AM
I'm in the middle of the engine & trans removal on my '98 OBW (AWD) and trying to remove the front axles. Already have the spring pins out. I pulled the BJ pinch bolt out of each spindle (and sprayed with WD40), but I can't get the ball joint and spindle to separate (even with a big pry bar). Do I just pop off the lower ball joint nut and try to pop it out of the control arm? Is that any easier? I really don't want to chance ruining the dust boot. Hopefully tomorrow it will come out after soaking all night. All I really need is one side to pop, once that axle is out I can shift the trans over to get the other.
Any ideas appreciated,
First of all, just replace your ball joints anyways. They're not too old, but they're cheap to repalce, and you're already removing them.
Second, I just did my ball joints, and employed a couple of tricks to get them out of the knuckle. Remove the cotter pin on the base of the balljoint stud. Now loosen the castle nut, and back it off. But make sure it's still well attached, only that it WILL come off when you're ready. Then I'd suggest removing the bolt that connects the sway bar and end-link. with this out of the way, the control arm is free to drop down.
With a pry bar, position the end between the knuckle and the control arm, and pry down on the control arm. If this does not work, I;d also suggest trying the following. Get a piece of metal rod or pipe about 3/4" or thicker and place it upright against the control arm near the ball joint. Then use a heavy hammer, preferably 3 lbs (I used a 5 lb sledge:grin: ) and giver a whack or five. Should come out of the knuckle nicely. To get it out of the control arm remove the castle nut and try whacking it on the base with the hammer. Probably won't work, then try smacking it on the top with the hammer (hey, you're replacing it anyways, right? ). Should knock it out or at least loose, then try whacking the bottom again.
You can also use a pickle fork to get it out of the control arm too.
BTW, get some real penetration fluid, not WD40. I use liquid wrench, I hear PB blaster is good (not available in Canada I think).l
Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:48 AM
I;d also suggest trying the following. Get a piece of metal rod or pipe about 3/4" or thicker and place it upright against the control arm near the ball joint. Then use a heavy hammer, preferably 3 lbs (I used a 5 lb sledge:grin: ) and giver a whack or five. Should come out of the knuckle nicely.
That was the method i used to get the ball joint out of the knuckle and it worked fairly easily and i used a 3lb hammer and a 2x4 if dont have a metal rod or pipe.
Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:40 AM
Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:45 AM
Posted 17 February 2006 - 03:45 PM
Thanks for all of the ideas.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users