Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea to ej quick question

randomizer

I know most of the ej swaps are sohc but I was just wondering if a dohc ej22 would still fit without excess modification (aka pounding out framerails).
Well since the only DOHC EJ22 that Suabru made was installed into the 22B amd only around 44 of those were ever made, good luck finding one. You might try an EJ25 series 1 (bad head gaskets, piston slapping) or buy a JDM EJ20G like suberdave did.

if i were to do it all over again, taking into account that 98% of my driving is on road. i would do what suberdave did. for $1000-$1100 shipped you can have the EJ20G wire harness, tranny, axles, ECU and motor w/ turbo/s. might as well convert to a 5-lug while you're at it, to have better brakes and correct sized tires for that motor/tranny combo. keep in mind that the single turbo is the only one that will fit the USDM cars. no tranny adapter crap to deal with.

:headbang:

~Josh~

why would you want a DOHC engine. Subaru had more problems with those engines than All the EA series engines together
????? Upon what do you base this misinformation? I have an EJ20G (DOHC) in my Impreza with over 100,000 trouble free miles. All of the Subaru WRX Rally car since 90 have run with a DOHC engine. All WRXs come with DOHC engine since they started building them in 93. The one series of DOHC engine that has had a problem was the first gen EJ25, but that is only a small portion of the Subaru DOHC engines.

The one series of DOHC engine that has had a problem was the first gen EJ25, but that is only a small portion of the Subaru DOHC engines.

I agree, but I found out from a SOA person that the HG failure rate was ~10% for those engines - and given the cost & all of a HG - people will make a LOT of noise about them

a standard SOHC EJ22 will work fine - you're going from ~90hp to ~140hp - that's a pretty big jump - and given how light the EA82 body is, you should be able to do some pretty insane stuff with the EJ22

BTW - are EJ series heads interhangeable??? and if so, which can be swapped??

BTW - are EJ series heads interhangeable??? and if so, which can be swapped??
Well, that depends upon the engine, if you are swapping heads from a closed deck engine to a closed deck engine, or a semi closed to semi-closed, or an open deck to an open deck, yes the heads will interchange. Any combination of different types of engines and the cooling holes and/or oil passages will not align properly.

one hell of a cheap and capable EJ combo is an ej22e bottom end and SOHC ej25 heads. ends up at 8.3:1 and can take a lot of boost. SOHC heads are among the best flowing subaru has made, and flow better than a chevy LS1.

NA a good combo is phase 1 ej25 bottom and and ej22e heads/management(10.8:1 CR, ~170hp) and ej25SOHC heads(11:1 CR, ~200hp)

Noah wants an EJ20G preferably a Red top STi with the AVCS much more capable then the EJ22 with the EJ25 heads.

Approx 280+ HP

Sorry Noah, no EJ20G has 280+ hp (highest 275hp) nor did they come with red intakes, you want an EJ20K, but if you can find an EJ22G (came only in the 22B), that would be better.

Sorry Noah, no EJ20G has 280+ hp (highest 275hp) nor did they come with red intakes, you want an EJ20K, but if you can find an EJ22G (came only in the 22B), that would be better.

So what is the designation of these motors? Venus Motors

And finding a motor from a 22B, I'm sure that every 22B that was made is still on the road, or so horribly mangled that the best body guys couldn't put it back together again. And that the engine was snagged up within 20 minutes of it being "totaled" :rolleyes:

So what is the designation of these motors? Venus Motors

And finding a motor from a 22B, I'm sure that every 22B that was made is still on the road, or so horribly mangled that the best body guys couldn't put it back together again. And that the engine was snagged up within 20 minutes of it being "totaled" :rolleyes:

The first two are wrong, the highest hp for a 94 was 250hp, they would be EJ20G, the 97 would be an EJ20K, the others are probably EJ205s or EJ207s. But that being said, there are very few early WRXs that are stock, most have been modified in some way or another. I went back to the site, they don't have pictures of either 94 engine. It could be that they are going by manufactured date, it which case any engine made 9/94 or later would be a 95, and those hp rates are 260 for WRX, 275 for STi (red top). Did some more snooping at the site, I found pictures of the 94 and up engines, the first is a 95 260hp http://www.venus-auto.com/coming/a15/a15%2095-260.htm , the second is alas a 95 http://www.venus-auto.com/coming/a15/a15%2095-280.htm someone has painted the intake red (Subaru didn't do that until 97) so if it is a STi, it has 275hp and you probably couldn't tell the difference between 275 and 280 hp until you reached top end, but JDM ECU have a fuel cut out at 180kmps so even then you probably would be able to tell. You need to contact then to see if they still have those engines, they got them in over 6 months ago.