Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cutting up a junker?

Guest unix

I am in the process of stripping my parts rust bucket. Question arises, what should I do with the remains? It won't be able to be towed, I don't want to eat the cost of a tow. Can I cut it up and haul the remains to a metal scrap yard myself (I have a truck). What are my options?

Guest Flowmastered87GL

You should be able to cut it up with a sawzall and then take it to a steel recycler and get like $45 a ton for it :D

Guest moosens

You lucky dogs out west get that much.Right now scrap steel is worth a frog's fart on the east coast.

I recommend the "Torch" blades Milwaukee has.Get a couple long ones and a couple mediums.Don't waste your time getting short ones.They're great for plumbing removal,etc. but for cutting up a car the longer sizes work best.Trust me,been there,done that.

You've been on the board for 4 years.Could you offer a location in your bio.??

I just now saw the other post....in VA,not sure what scrap is there but it can't be much.

Cutting a Loyale huh....is the windshield any good?

It looks like I found the solution I was looking for. Sawzall. Looked on ebay, they have lots of them, any good model you can recommend?

I have a full size truck, maybe if I cut the car into 2 pieces, it can fit in there. Although to lift these pieces into the bed, it would have to be cut into 3 parts, I imagine. Where exactly do I cut it, does it matter? Should the tranny be removed first?

<strong> Cutting a Loyale huh....is the windshield any good? </strong>

The windshield is perfect. If you want it -- I don't know if windshields can be shipped.

rec.autos.tech discussion

Guest magnificent subaru

Don't waste the opportunity to make yourself a "wicked chopsaw" a-la modified chainsaw arm with a 10" or so cutting disc. Them's danger sports! (Don't try at home) (Forget I said anything) :D

Ross in Idaho

On a helpful note, I found the "search and rescue" blades for sawzall at home dumpo. Thicker, cuts better without bending and flapping.

RAH

Guest northguy

Or rent a hot saw from the local rental place. As far as reciprocating saws go, it's hard to be Milwaukee sawzalls. The supersawzall isn't as good as the original, though. Dewalt makes a good one with an easy change option that's handier than the old allen screw on the Milwaukees. Personally, I'd drop the $40 to rent a Stihl hot saw and go at it.

Guest DaveAP

When using bimetal blades, try to have a little patience, and keep the cutting speed on the slow side. If you cut too fast the teeth wear out alot faster.

Also always say "god bless my sawzall" after using.