Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

help!! my wipers don't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:36 PM

can someone tell me the most likely area that a short would be found reguarding my wipers. my hand gets mighty cold moving that squeegee on the windshield as i cruise down the road in desperate need as winter will be here soon. any ideas will help, thanks.:burnout:

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:41 PM

Did you check the fuses? Other than that, the motors burn out sometimes - try wireing it up by hand to see if it works.

GD

#3 kevinsUBARU

kevinsUBARU

hi

• Members
  • 2,964 posts
  • Ulster County

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:43 PM

did the linkage disconnect from the motor? Sometimes those plastic "cups" dry rot and break off. Easy fix.

kevin

#4 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:44 PM

those were my first two ideas of course, but very logical. i just didn't want to rip that dash up to get my motors out. oh yeah, while i have the dash out, is there anything else i should replace? like the heater core or anything else. is there a way to get more heat into my cockpit this winter?

#5 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:46 PM

i know it's not a linkage problem. they aren't getting power or the motor wont take any power. but thanks for the ideas. it will be good to know:headbang:

#6 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 16 October 2003 - 01:06 AM

Okay, since I don't know enough about the wipers on your model:

Try applying "Rain-X" to the windscreen. Rain drops get blown off above 30mph :D

Not a permanent fix, but it will buy you time?

#7 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,977 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 16 October 2003 - 04:47 AM

Don't have any referance as to which wire is which, as far as color coding goes. But at the wiper motor connector, you should have the following.

Key on-wipers off; You should have battery voltage on one of the leads. This is the power feed to "park" the wipers.

Key on-wipers on low; You should have voltage on one of the other wires that didn't have it before.

Key on-wipers on high; You should have power on the last of the wires.

Lastly - You have your grounding wire connection. Maybe this should be firstly instead. But you need to make sure that the ground is a good connection also.

This will get you to the it's the motor, or it's in the wiring/switch area. You can make the check with either a test lamp, or a multi-meter. I prefer the latter myself.

#8 Syrinx

Syrinx

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • St. Louis, MO

Posted 16 October 2003 - 07:49 AM

rip out the dash top get to wiper motors?!! Never heard of that before. Usually they are located right against the firewall in the emgime compatment....
kurt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users