Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did you go out to the track day at Dallas MSR?

I really want to get up there for the driving school/event.

MSR seems like a great facility to my inexperienced eyes. They have quite few events there and are expanding the track as well.

My class was with Apex Driving Academy who uses MSR. It was in Jan. and fortunately we had outstanding weather! (though a little rain may have allowed me to pass the vette and VW lol!)

IIRC you guys have a track in your area right?

anyway - there is an Apex thread over at nasioc with a few comments about the day.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896352&page=3&pp=25

and , if you wanna see the other vehicles, here's a link to some photos(click on the set numbers);

http://www.hart-photography.com/2006/apex2006.htm

here's Apex's link to the BYOC class;

http://www.apexdrivingacademy.com/classes2.asp

and MSR;

http://www.motorsportranch.com/

You could grab a sandwich at Subway, drive in and sit on the upper deck at the 'classroom' building and just watch some amazing vehicles(including donorc - uh - motorcycles) pull up and run the track!

Carl

Do you have some really sweet suspension mods to that wagon, or is the Lotus driver just being a puss?? :lol:

Well, since the warden puts people on the track with space in between, as they say "God did not put that Elise on my @ss" !

(if we weren't doing lead-follow with instructors at that time [that Lotus was an instructor's car - he had 3-4 students behind him], I would've signalled the Lotus to pass at one of the next 'pass zones' .we had 3 that day allowable for passing).

guys - there was no 'head to head' racing. It was about learning the track and what you can do with your car. Even when we had 'free' track time, there were 3 passing zones (long straitaways) and no more than 2 cars could pass you AFTER you signalled them to. There was some skidpad/cone drilles in the morning, classroom time, lead follow, in-car instruction and free track time - more in-car if you wanted it, etc. Very safe and sane. Your FM radio is tuned to hear instructions and track warnings. There's time to check the torque on your wheels and make air pressure adjustments if needed. You can leave to get gas at noon if needed (I used over a half tank!!!) I probably had close to 3 hours on the track and I was beat!

If you guys have anything like this near where you live - take advantage of it.

Stock suspension - for now.

Who was the guy in the silver SUV? :confused::lol:

Yeah, that lady looked outta place in her Saturn Vue! But she enjoyed it and probably learned a lot about her car's handling abilities. It was the only slush box in the class too. I ran all day in 3rd (though, there is probably an opportunity to downshift and use 2nd through the 'rattlesnake' - maybe next time) and did fine. That's how the Z06 ran too - though he definitely had the torque monster on the track. The orange VW really carved his way around! Me, the black STi and the Miata all had 'adventures in farming' running off the track. And once the Miata spun out behind me trying to keep up with me. They can announce yellow or red track conditions on your FM radio. We never had a red and only a couple of yellows. We were delayed once coming outta the classroom to get back on the track because a club member lost a gas cpa on the track. They are very careful. I had to be inspected after going farming to make sure i wasn't leaking any fluids onto the track. There's very little to run into if you lose a corner and run off.

fun stuff

Carl

Texan!

Loving that picture, good to see you aren't babying your new car! Feels good on the track doesn't it?

I was really wishing for some stiffer springs! And stickier tires (though the Kumhos were a little better than I had expected) And I will definitely have a better idea how much tire pressure to start with. It was a real learning experience on the track and in the classroom. Felt nice at the end of the day having my instructor say the 70mph I exited turn 7 at was only 3-4 mph less than than he takes it in his Viper! (though I'm sure my overall track speed was poor - no heel toe, no race pads/rotors, no track tires, no mad engine mods.,etc.) Checked the torque on my SSR rims a coupla times and they were rock solid. Though they were VERY grey from brake dust!

fun stuff

I guess it must have been about 9 years ago that 3 of my fellow PCA (Porsche Club of America) buds and I took my 92 Legacy AWD automatic wagon up to Memphis for a PCA event at the Memphis Motorsports track...basically a drag strip with a lonnnnnngggg straight away and a few good corners that bring you back to the start line of the dragstrip.....so between events they had a charity thing where they opened up the track for a donation. Sign the waiver, hand her the money, cause the Soobie is gonna mix it up with the 911s, 944s, 928s.....I can still remember the big smile looking at me from the rear view mirror of a 944 as we were on his A$$ going through the corners.....4 dudes all belted up in a Legacy Wagon!:banana:

I guess it must have been about 9 years ago that 3 of my fellow PCA (Porsche Club of America) buds and I took my 92 Legacy AWD automatic wagon up to Memphis for a PCA event at the Memphis Motorsports track...basically a drag strip with a lonnnnnngggg straight away and a few good corners that bring you back to the start line of the dragstrip.....so between events they had a charity thing where they opened up the track for a donation. Sign the waiver, hand her the money, cause the Soobie is gonna mix it up with the 911s, 944s, 928s.....I can still remember the big smile looking at me from the rear view mirror of a 944 as we were on his A$$ going through the corners.....4 dudes all belted up in a Legacy Wagon!:banana:

Yeah, during a break I overheard another driver complaining about keeping the Subarus off his @ss. (I doubt I was in the group he was refering to, there were 3 STis and another wagon and an RS in the class too.)

fun