Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ozzified or do it yourself

i really want a lift and i have been washing freakin dishes to save money to get one:dead: and i was reading a post about a home made lift kit. i was wondering as a novice who knows the very minimal about lifts, should i build my own and get info from guys on the board, or should i just go with ease and simplicity and directions w/a byb lift?

if you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to acomplish it.

delayed gratification will ALWAYS taste sweeter then anything else.

Save up for the BYB Ozified kit. I am a college student who saved for a year to order one, then about that time "I lucked time wise" into a kit that Brian(west coaster) needed a tranny and so I bought the kit off him and gave him a hookup on a fellow members tranny during his wedding planning stages.

Then via time constraints i had to wait over 6 more months till i could find time to install it (not to mention a place to do it at.)

last fall and spring i was 15 credit hours and then 19 credit hours all upper level classes to graduate with the double BA in MAy. So, a few extra dishes for the sanity of a well built kit at around 300 clams? I'd sign the dotted line again when I had the money for a second kit - no doubt.

Tangent for PKDavis300 I came across an extra one so I promise I will find a box to send off these two "core" steering knuckles" your way.... hopefully before All Hallows eve.

thanks for the advice, i was leaning toward the BYB kit. i have the skills necessary to fabricate one, but i'm not sure exactly what parts i will need and all that stuff. the byb lift will give me everything needed, plus instructions. i have only heard of one byb kit failing. this was due to improper installation, so i will feel really comfortable w/the byb. thanks

no no, seriously, they got into my package. PKDavis sent mine via truck through canada... i receieved my lift all phuKed up, and they (the canadians) didnt even put the stuff in my package back the way it was. I had to call PK instantly and he seemed BAFFLED, explaining how each peice was individiually wrapped in newspaper and that the instructions were on top of everything. Well.... The instructions were on the bottom with a BIG boot print on them and 2 of the lift blocks and a crapload of nuts and bolts were missing.

All in all... the lift is solid, I managed to brreak a peice, but it was replaced no questions asked. ozzified is totally the way to go, just because....

Mr. PK Davis is the man.

ozzified is the man's lift.

yo! i have built a 3 inch and a 6 inch lift, and just recently helped in a bolt thru lift(for the rear of the sedan, which included suspension lift, and found its way onto the rx!)

if you have a decent automotive knowledge of suspension, have welding skills, and get a good look at the underneath of a soob, you would probably not have much trouble building a lift.'

if you decided to, o can tell you what WONT work, but because of what didnt work, now i know what will.

i had a rear end collapse on me, but i did fix that, but i took the whole lift ouy due to the front not being straight.

but i used cheap materials and a crappy welder, but HEY, it worked!

my 2 builds, plus getting to see a real lift in person, the next one i would build would be strong, straight, and sturdy.

ea81 would be easier to lift than ea82

Lifts.

If you are mechanically inclined, go for it and make your own. If you don't have the means to create one, or the time, buy a byb kit. One person can have it installed in a weekend first try, two in a day.

I also lost a lift block once, due to me not retightening it enough. But, I've installed 11 of them, 7 on my own soobs, and that's the only one I know of falling out. (I found it on the trail btw)

Toybuilder. . . Patrick is a busy man, kids and a full time job, always been bad at answering his emails. Posts grabbing his attention here on the board tend to work.

I've done it both ways. Built my first one and bought my second one. The choice should depend on a couple of factors. Do you have time to make your own? Do you have the time to remake the parts that weren't quite right the first time? The metal is not a problem. The bolts may be depending where you live. Can you or someone you know weld? Not just strike an arc but weld with good penetration. You life sort of depends on how well you build it.

I have installed 5 or 6 lifts and will say that the BYB/Ozified kit is very well built. Nice to know that all you have to do is put it in and be done. Eric and I have installed a few of them in under 6 hours :burnout: (Granted we have installed 17 between us).

The nicest thing about them is everything is there, it's delivered to your door and you don't have to run back and forth to the parts store.

BTW, after I built the first one I told myself that the experience was good but that I would buy the next one. My time is worth alot also.

I have played with home made lifts on jeeps.. never on a soob.

I have however, installed one BYB lift on an EA82T wagon.. took about 12 hours(one day) for two of us to do it.. I'll bet that next time it will take a lot less. the time save refitting parts and finding bolts and stuff is definitely worth the $300-$400 that a BYB lift costs.

There are a few people on the board that will build you a lift too. Maybe not in your area, but if you are interested in doing custom fab work on Subaru's, then building your own would be a good learning experience. Others will see what you have done with your car, and if it's successful, they will be more willing to allow you to build stuff for them. Out here on the west coast, we have Mudrat79 that does a lot of custom work. His design is well tested, and very strong (made it through the Rubicon!), so I opted to have him lift my wagon. The cost was slightly higher than if I had bought it, but I didn't have to install it myself either. And I wanted to support a local business, so he will keep making us bumpers and roll bars etc. I could have bought the lift, but no one is in the business of selling all the other goodies that I want. I would build some stuff myself, but as I don't have a welder, and am always busy with school and trying to make enough money to live on, I don't have the time to R/D this stuff, and I would rather have someone that knows what they are doing build it right the first time. I'll tear an engine down, or do a 4WD conversion and things like that, but when it comes to custom fabrication, I leave it to the pro's (for now)

Gd