Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Noob has questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mbrickell

mbrickell

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Kansas City

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:55 AM

Hey, there, Matt here in Kansas City. Was driving home yesterday and spotted a super clean 1990 Loyale Wagon 5-spd 2wd in a yard for sale and bought it.

Am pretty much a VW guy, and wrench a little on those, but not too familiar with the Subies.

I see people referring to different engine codes, i.e. E this or that, how do I find what I have?

Only flaw with this car is the driver's side auto belt does not work. Any good source for replacement parts recommended?

Car drives great, very straight car, but idle seems real high when cold, normal otherwise. Is this normal for this car?

Thanks for any general guidance you folks can give me.

Matt

#2 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:04 AM

Your engine is the EA82, a single overhead cam 1.8 liter engine. The code is cast in the front of the block, in front of the thermostat housing.

#3 mbrickell

mbrickell

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Kansas City

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:17 AM

Your engine is the EA82, a single overhead cam 1.8 liter engine. The code is cast in the front of the block, in front of the thermostat housing.

Thanks!

#4 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:31 AM

You're welcome, and welcome to the board. The seat belt can probably be found at a local salvage yard. They're pretty common- my local pick-n-pull has 6 or 8 loyales.

#5 pheonix165

pheonix165

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • victoria bc (canada)

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:37 AM

hi vw guy, i'm a nissan guy...just another couple of converts i guess

#6 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:49 AM

Hi Matt, welcome to the good ship USMB

on the idle problem
Your EA82 has SPFI
Single Point Fuel Injection

also known in some circles as throttle body FI

The systems have a common problem with the device used to control idle speed

This device is called the Idle Air Control valve (IAC).
They want cleaned periodically as they tend to gum up

It is located on the front of the throttle body.
See this link for more info on cleaning it
http://www.ultimates...dle air control

Hope this helps

BTW the search engine does not repond to three letter words add a * as a wildcard
for example IAC* not IAC

#7 mbrickell

mbrickell

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Kansas City

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:06 PM

Thanks, all, for the good info.

Anyone done the seatbelt motor/track repair themselves? How involved is it?

Appreciate the replies. I am addicted to the great support on vwvortex, looks like you guys have the same going here. Excellent.

Matt

#8 msteel

msteel

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Greenville, SC

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:48 PM

As I recall, there was a guy named Matt who called in to CarTalk a couple of Saturdays ago with a Loyale with a nonfunctioning shoulder belt. That wouldn't be you by any chance, would it?

There is a way to move the shoulder belts if the motor is bad (or disconnected). At the bottom of the pillar behind the drivers seat there is a trim plug that should pop off. There will be a six-sided allen wrench type hole. Turning that will move the belt, unless there is a mechanical problem with it.

You probably even have the the special tool for this purpose. Look for a pouch snapped to the carpet just in front of the rear seat.

If you put the belt into the "in use" position you could at least buckle/unbuckle it manually at the door and be safe until you get it replaced (or you might get used to it...)

Matt

#9 BlueTrain

BlueTrain

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • MisSOULa

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:06 PM

is your idle just high (around 2000 or so) for about the first 4-5 minutes after startup? if thats the case, this is normal. if it is staying high, then yes, its probably that darn IAC valve.

#10 mbrickell

mbrickell

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Kansas City

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

I'm not the CarTalk guy, but funny that another Matt called in with this issue.

My seat belt is actually the whole way back, so you can use it, you just have to unbuckle the belt every time you want to get in and out. I'm kind of a stickler about little crap working right, which is why I ask. Should probably just get used to it.

Matt

#11 mbrickell

mbrickell

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Kansas City

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:12 PM

is your idle just high (around 2000 or so) for about the first 4-5 minutes after startup? if thats the case, this is normal. if it is staying high, then yes, its probably that darn IAC valve.

Yeah, 1800-2k for a couple minutes. Ok, cool, this is normal. My VWs do not do that so was not used to it. Good. Thank you.

#12 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:56 PM

My XT6's auto seat belts are broken too. I'm used to it by now (but all my passengers say wtf when they try to bukcle). I've got it down to one swift maneuver with buckling both the lap and shoulder belts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users