Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noob has questions

Hey, there, Matt here in Kansas City. Was driving home yesterday and spotted a super clean 1990 Loyale Wagon 5-spd 2wd in a yard for sale and bought it.

Am pretty much a VW guy, and wrench a little on those, but not too familiar with the Subies.

I see people referring to different engine codes, i.e. E this or that, how do I find what I have?

Only flaw with this car is the driver's side auto belt does not work. Any good source for replacement parts recommended?

Car drives great, very straight car, but idle seems real high when cold, normal otherwise. Is this normal for this car?

Thanks for any general guidance you folks can give me.

Matt

Hi Matt, welcome to the good ship USMB

on the idle problem

Your EA82 has SPFI

Single Point Fuel Injection

also known in some circles as throttle body FI

The systems have a common problem with the device used to control idle speed

This device is called the Idle Air Control valve (IAC).

They want cleaned periodically as they tend to gum up

It is located on the front of the throttle body.

See this link for more info on cleaning it

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49068&highlight=idle+air+control

Hope this helps

BTW the search engine does not repond to three letter words add a * as a wildcard

for example IAC* not IAC

As I recall, there was a guy named Matt who called in to CarTalk a couple of Saturdays ago with a Loyale with a nonfunctioning shoulder belt. That wouldn't be you by any chance, would it?

There is a way to move the shoulder belts if the motor is bad (or disconnected). At the bottom of the pillar behind the drivers seat there is a trim plug that should pop off. There will be a six-sided allen wrench type hole. Turning that will move the belt, unless there is a mechanical problem with it.

You probably even have the the special tool for this purpose. Look for a pouch snapped to the carpet just in front of the rear seat.

If you put the belt into the "in use" position you could at least buckle/unbuckle it manually at the door and be safe until you get it replaced (or you might get used to it...)

Matt

I'm not the CarTalk guy, but funny that another Matt called in with this issue.

My seat belt is actually the whole way back, so you can use it, you just have to unbuckle the belt every time you want to get in and out. I'm kind of a stickler about little crap working right, which is why I ask. Should probably just get used to it.

Matt

is your idle just high (around 2000 or so) for about the first 4-5 minutes after startup? if thats the case, this is normal. if it is staying high, then yes, its probably that darn IAC valve.

Yeah, 1800-2k for a couple minutes. Ok, cool, this is normal. My VWs do not do that so was not used to it. Good. Thank you.