Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Digital Fuel Gauge Broken

1984 Subaru S/W with digital instumental cluster.

I've tried replacing the whole cluster 3 times , and still no go.(3 diffrent clusters. I'm done fixing and now want a remedy. Which univesal fuel Level Gauge or modification , would work with a subaru OEM sending unit?:banghead:

Hi Calebz. I did check the Fuel sendin Unit with a vom meter. Resistance noted throughout. I even tried a Mechanical gauge fuel sending unit, and noticed that resistance is backwards. I was even afraid that I ruined the the gauge, since prior to me someone grounded the fuel sending unit to ground, utilizing a non subaru sending unit. Its not easy finding these instrumental clusters, and the other two I tried , the speedos did not work well.... Any suggestions will help, since I'm at the confusion stage:( Hugo/So. CA

I have personally swapped tanks from a 4WD DL with analog guage, to a 2WD GL with digi-dash. Both cars work just fine - and the tanks both retained the same sending units. I don't know if this is a freak thing, and I got lucky, but I'm betting that the guage doesn't really care one way or the other - or maybe it's a DL guage thing?

GD

I had to swap the tanks cause I was converting the car to 4WD. the other car was put back together as a 2WD, and lives on still. Now that I think about it, I probably will swap the sending units out as niether seems to be accurate (fill the tank on the 2WD, and it goes to 3/4 on the guage....), but it does not explain your problem of having no reading at all. Both guages DID register with the tank full, and do operate fine - although they are not accurate.

GD

what tom said.

the wiring should come up into the car at the [assenger side taillight and along the side, you may be able to access some of it for poking with a voltmeter under the rear seat (it flips up, exposing the floor, brake, fuel lines and some wiring)

Fuel sending unit was tested with an VOM meter. Resistance is intact. The only think I've not checked is the actual wiring to the gauge. What should I be looking for in the wiring. I'm assuming there there could be a break in the wiring going from the tank to the dash. Is there any checks I can do to the wiring at the gas tank, to check for voltage or continuity to ground? Maybe its the grounding at the fuel sending unit. I'm assuming grounding must be internal, explaining the reason for the two wires. What can I do to test wiring. Anyone have the wiring schematic for the wires on the subaru or know the correct colors I should be checking for continuity, in case there's a break? Hugo/So. CA