Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Forester 5 spd Rattle Under Power

Recently bought a 98 Forester with 5 spd and 2.5 DOHC motor, 145,000 mi. Nice car, but..... mysterious rattle coming from up front whenever power is applied in 2,3,4,5th gears. Can be light or heavy throttle, same sound. Sound alters slightly if you push/pull on the gearshift lever. Does not rattle when in First or Reverse. Does not change if turning or going straight. Does not rattle when coming down on compression. Rattle is road speed dependent-- rattles faster the faster I drive, regardless of engine speed. Checked all 4 halfshafts, and the driveshaft-- all seems well. This thing sounds like the front U joint behind the transmission is ready to come out of the car-- but all U joints are tight. The frequency of the rattle suggests driveshaft. Yes, I checked the oil in the gearbox-- level is OK, and gearshift feel is smooth, positive, and excellent. Put in new spark plugs-- no change. Engine runs great, with excellent power. Help!

Because you used the word rattle I think of heat shields. Everyone I know has had them rattle. The usual thing is climb under the car and hit the exhast with a dead blow hammer until you find it and tighten it up with and extra screw or whatever works for you. If it is more like a thumping sound that would be different.

This may be a funny idea or not but have you looked at the shift linkage itself for rattles? My honda has a dirty rattle somewhere in the shift linkage due to worn bushings. It sort of comes and goes with certain RPMs and levels of engine load. If I grab the shifter it mostly goes away.

just something else to check anyway. good luck! :burnout:

I'm thinking knock. Could be a bad knock sensor. Do you have a CEL on? if so, have the code read.

Try changing to high octane gas. If the problem is immediately better it engine knock for certain and you have a path to follow.

You could also try clearing the ECU to force it to re-learn the engine parameters.

I dunno