Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid Rear Shocks

Well i couldnt find much info on this on the web so ill hand you guys the question. XT used to have the whole ride height thing going on - it doesnt work anymore and looks as if the struts have been changed all round. The Front springs/shocks are coping fine but the back ones are really high and bounce like hell.

As some of you know this car has to pass an inspection in 2 days and i really have to get these back shocks sorted out, i dont know what type they are so heres a little pic for you to have a go identifying them.

PIC00001-1.JPG

Can i get these refilled with oil or do i have to go get new ones?

KELTIK

easiest way to do it too, find a suspension shop and pay them to change the springs and brackets over to the new struts. They'll have the right tools, they should be able to do both rear struts (off the car) in about 15 minutes and it should only cost about 30 bucks

Wow dude you must live in a great country, a ignition coil for my Honda cost $260 fitted and the lil gearbox switch for the reversing lights on my Jimny cost $80!!!!

To get yer springs compressed (including fitting) costs $500 and JY parts are the biggest rip off ever with a set of tail lights for the Honda costing $600

I'll be impressed if i can get the new shocks cheap and ill post a good old rant when the nice parts man tells me i need to remove an arm and a leg.

KELTIK

Bah, they arent' thaaaat bad, just a slight bit awkward through the turns, bumps and I guess the whole general driving thing.......

Yeah, actually, lets work on getting the right ones.....

On a slightly related note, what axels can we canabalise, cause We've noticed clicking from the front, and busted boots on the back....

Well......Performance Zone couldnt get a listing for an XT and had never heard of an EA82 wagon or RX so i was stuffed there. Repco wants $90 for each rear shock and another $40 for the fan belt so i tried the wreckers yard. They pretty much denied the existence of subaru before 1990.

Well the inspection is tomorrow and luckily if i do fail i get a free re-test so its not the end of the world.

I dont know if anybodys actually subscribed to this thread, hanging on the edge of their seats waiting to hear the outcome. But in case someone is i will keep you posted. :headbang:

KELTIK