Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No rear wheel drive on 90 legacy wagon

I have a 90 legacy wagon 4wd.

I have no rear wheel drive, my understanding is that the duty c solenoid energizes and disengages the rear drive when the fuse is put in.

Since the fuse is out, then the clutch pack must be blown, is my logic correct?

Kenny:confused:

no incorrect logic.

Could be the duty C solenoid is stuck, the valve seat is eroded to the point that pressure is leaking through, or dirt in the valve. COuld also be a bad speed sensor, one or both of them.

If you had a bad clutch pack you would know it. Its not pretty.

nipper

no incorrect logic.

Could be the duty C solenoid is stuck, the valve seat is eroded to the point that pressure is leaking through, or dirt in the valve. COuld also be a bad speed sensor, one or both of them.

nipper

Nipper

Interesting, the speedo is showing a false reading of 10 20 mph above actual speed. Do you think that would cause the solenoid to energize?

Is the speed sensor mechanical or electrical? Do you need to pull the tranny to change the speed sensor?

Thanks

kenny

no incorrect logic.

nipper

Dear Nipper

I must add the tranny shifts hard into second and when in second acts like it is loosing power then it feels like a little down shift and revs and takes off. Its shifts into 3rd fine and 4 fine also.

Respectfully

Kenny

OK the AWD has been disabled by the computer because its confused. The constant speedometer reading too high is enough to make the computer kill the awd. Alot of subarus shift hard into second. When you say it feels like its loosing power, does the engine rpm increase also?

im curious as to weather the tranny is slipping or if the car is bogging down in second.

i think in your year car one of the VSS is in the spedometer head. The car usses two VSS Sensors for the AWD. If the Computer does not see one spedd sensor catching up to the other it will kill the AWD to keep the transmission from committing suicide.

This may also have something to do with shifting but i doubt it.

What condition is the tranny fluid in?

nipper

DearMr Nipper

It feels like a bog , the engine dsnt increase at first, it feels like a coast then the rpms increase. . The fliud was a lil burnt , I changed it and added some Lucas tranny fix. I did not change the filter.

I read the band can be adjusted, True?

I guess I will have to find out the spec for both sensors, Ohms im thinking,

The hanyes manual dsnt have much in it about the vss.

Thank You

Kenny:headbang:

DearMr Nipper

It feels like a bog , the engine dsnt increase at first, it feels like a coast then the rpms increase. . The fliud was a lil burnt , I changed it and added some Lucas tranny fix. I did not change the filter.

I read the band can be adjusted, True?

I guess I will have to find out the spec for both sensors, Ohms im thinking,

The hanyes manual dsnt have much in it about the vss.

Thank You

Kenny:headbang:

MR NIPPER!!! EEEEKKKKKK

it sounds like your tranny is dying. Band can be adjusted, but at this point it sounds likes its too late. Its still hard to tell what its doing in second, but considering sooby trannies tend to work or the dont with nothing inbetween, its time to start looking.

The speed sensors may be ohms but also will need an analog volt meter to check as one is hall effect, i dont know about the one in the spedo head.

Since it sounds like youll be looking for a used tranny soon, if a shop is going to installit, let them trouble shoot everything too. Who knows all the issues may go away with the next tranny

MR NIPPER!!! EEEEKKKKKK

it sounds like your tranny is dying. Band can be adjusted, but at this point it sounds likes its too late. Its still hard to tell what its doing in second, but considering sooby trannies tend to work or the dont with nothing inbetween, its time to start looking.

The speed sensors may be ohms but also will need an analog volt meter to check as one is hall effect, i dont know about the one in the spedo head.

Since it sounds like youll be looking for a used tranny soon, if a shop is going to installit, let them trouble shoot everything too. Who knows all the issues may go away with the next tranny

Dude

Thanks for all the input. If the tranny dumps I will prob change it out, my uncle has a shop with a tranny jack. I dont really like used trannys, since this one has only 115 k on it, im thinking im not gunna find anything with low mileage in the 1990 year. What year can I use a tranny up too? I wanted to use the car to tow a lil boat I ve been rebuilding, Im sure this will be the kiss of death for this unit , lol. IN the mean time i will look for a junker I can pick up for parts. Thanks

ken

Dude

Thanks for all the input. If the tranny dumps I will prob change it out, my uncle has a shop with a tranny jack. I dont really like used trannys, since this one has only 115 k on it, im thinking im not gunna find anything with low mileage in the 1990 year. What year can I use a tranny up too? I wanted to use the car to tow a lil boat I ve been rebuilding, Im sure this will be the kiss of death for this unit , lol. IN the mean time i will look for a junker I can pick up for parts. Thanks

ken

take your time and look around, you have some time yet, you may be pleasantly surprised. i cant speak for pre 95 trannies, but they seem to last a long time. At the very least try to find one with the mileage of yours or less. Also look for entire cars that have no resale value. Grandmas are out there with low mileage cars still :)

BTW what happens if you try to start off in D2 or manually shift the car?

nipper

GEEZ!! EIGHT replies and the first post hasn't ruffled anyone's feathers?

Drifter, by "fuse" you mean the FWD circuit in the engine bay right?? That's NOT supposed to have a fuse in it. If you DO put a fuse in it, THEN it will be in front-wheel-drive mode. That's for towing purposes so the transmission is not damaged if the rear wheels are left on the ground when the car is towed.

Drifter, by "fuse" you mean the FWD circuit in the engine bay right?? That's NOT supposed to have a fuse in it. If you DO put a fuse in it, THEN it will be in front-wheel-drive mode. That's for towing purposes so the transmission is not damaged if the rear wheels are left on the ground when the car is towed.

Thats what he said

"I have no rear wheel drive, my understanding is that the duty c solenoid energizes and disengages the rear drive when the fuse is put in"

When the fuse is in, it energizes the solenoid, the AWD is disnegaged. He has a dead solenoid, He has a dying tranny, whic makes the entire point moot.

Its no longer recomended by subaru that the car gets towed with a sling, but gets flat beded. The fuse is for driving on a spare.

Of late if you have torque bind, you put the fuse in to keep the tranny from self destructing untill you either get the tranny flushed or the clutch pack repaired. From what ive seen on the boards you can drive for a long time with this fuse in. The fear of over heating the solenoid is moot, as the solenoid is lives in a very harsh and hot place, far hotter then it can get just by being energized on its own.

So you ruffled a feather.

nipper

I think I must have lost a few too many brain cells in the 80's because yesterday I figured out that the tranny shifts second a lil hard then shifts third too early, bogs a bit then down shifts to second then shifts back to third.

Thanks Again

The drifter

grrrrrr next out comes the rolled up newspaper.:banghead:

Ok have you flushed the tranny?

yes i changed the fluid once, i will do it again, is there a paper filter or a pickup screen?

the drifter

dont do it again, if it didnt fix it the first time it wont again. No filter to change in the tranny.

What happens if you manually shift the car?

nipper

may i suggest you read the first post yourself.