Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sticking Brakes??? Maybe?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scrub2k

Scrub2k

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Reno

Posted 16 October 2003 - 02:14 AM

When i first get in my car start it put it in gear and start driving it feels like the brakes are still on or something like that, and it will feel like that for about 2 minutes if i just lightly get on the throttle but if i floor it it just like releases and lunges forward and goes on like nothing happened and it does this any time after the car sits for a little while but especially noticable first thing in the morning, anyone have any idea what this is and how to fix it? it just makes me wonder if its just more problems with my auto tranny......

#2 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

Subaru Sober since 2010 :(

• Members
  • 1,908 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 16 October 2003 - 02:15 AM

Is your car parked on a slope? and is the rump roast end downhill?

-Brian

#3 Scrub2k

Scrub2k

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Reno

Posted 16 October 2003 - 02:16 AM

erm......yea....now that i think of it most of the time, why?

#4 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 16 October 2003 - 09:19 AM

Because it might be that your handbrake pads are "binding". There is a tendency for drum brakes to tighten their adjustment when they work in reverse, like when parked on a hill....

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,184 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 16 October 2003 - 09:32 AM

suspect the hill holder if you had a manual. autos ned not apply!

#6 Scrub2k

Scrub2k

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Reno

Posted 16 October 2003 - 11:26 AM

i Thought about Drum Brakes Doing that but i have 4 wheel discs so kinda ruled that out

#7 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,113 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 16 October 2003 - 11:44 AM

Besides, the old school Subes use a front E-brake. They could still be dragging but the drum theory doesn't apply. Do you let the car warm up before you go? May just be a little tired and once it warms then all the seals start to seal and direct pressure in the right direction.

Take the front wheels off and check the E-brake cables for movement. Make sure they are smooth in operation. You'll probably need a helper so you can watch how they work with the hand brake lever.

#8 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

Subaru Sober since 2010 :(

• Members
  • 1,908 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 16 October 2003 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, i was thinking it was the Hill Holder, but Miles caught that. I forgot you had an auto.

-Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users