Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought '98 Outback ... questions about small items needing repair

Hi all ... thanks to replies on this thread, some independent research, and discussions with a friend of mine who used to run the service department at a Subie dealership, this weekend I bought a 1998 Outback with 83,300 miles on it for $4,500. The original price was $5,300, but we haggled it down $800 as the car needs rear brakes and rotors and because the head gaskets have not yet been replaced. I figure even if I have to have that work done, the worst case is my total capital outlay is about equal to the car's blue book value ($6,330 in "Fair" condition, $7,100 in "Good" condition, private-party sale, per KBB.com).

She has a couple of minor issues though, that I'd like to potentially fix. Advice, "how to" or other information appreciated!

1. The glass in the driver's mirror rattles at higher speeds (highway speeds). Perhaps the mechanism holding the glass in the mirror housing is loose? The mirrors are not heated, but are electric. Is there any easy way to "tighten" the glass?

2. The flip-switch on the rear view mirror doesn't flip the mirror, it moves the whole thing. My GF has the same issue with her car, likely because she has never used the day/night switch, and I suspect the same issue with my Outback. I, however, hate headlights in my face, and flip the mirror constantly. Is there an adjustment that can fix this?

3. The illumination lights behind the heating console do not work. I presume there is more than one bulb back there, indicating to me that a wire may be broken. If I'm wrong and there is only one bulb, that could be the issue. The lights on the buttons themselves work fine when pressed, but the panel is dark otherwise. Is there an easy way to pull off this panel and check?

4. The sunglass holder will not stay closed. It clicks, and then falls open. An easy adjustment perhaps?

All very minor stuff, but little annoyances I'd like to fix on my own if easy enough to do. If not, I'll live with them!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

3. The illumination lights behind the heating console do not work. I presume there is more than one bulb back there, indicating to me that a wire may be broken. If I'm wrong and there is only one bulb, that could be the issue. The lights on the buttons themselves work fine when pressed, but the panel is dark otherwise. Is there an easy way to pull off this panel and check?

This is everything you need to know about those little lights.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2498&page=1&pp=10&highlight=climate+control+backlight

Do it. It will make you feel a lot better a night. I like even the small victories!:)

2. The flip-switch on the rear view mirror doesn't flip the mirror, it moves the whole thing. My GF has the same issue with her car, likely because she has never used the day/night switch, and I suspect the same issue with my Outback. I, however, hate headlights in my face, and flip the mirror constantly. Is there an adjustment that can fix this?

I don't think I've seen this problem before. Is it broke, or just stiff? I know that in my 97 OB, it is stiffer than any other vehicle that I can think off. Still, it works. Sometimes the mirror moves a bit when I flip it and I have to readjust it. I've gotten in the habit of putting my thumb on the lower edge of the mirror as I pull the lever towards me with my finger. Works well for me. You might try squirting a bit of some lubricant up in there. I like to use Rust Check for stuff like that since is creeps and doesn't damage plastic. I fixed a slightly sticky wiper stalk this way. Not sure what else to suggest.

Commuter

Hi all ... thanks to replies on this thread, some independent research, and discussions with a friend of mine who used to run the service department at a Subie dealership, this weekend I bought a 1998 Outback with 83,300 miles on it for $4,500. The original price was $5,300, but we haggled it down $800 as the car needs rear brakes and rotors and because the head gaskets have not yet been replaced. I figure even if I have to have that work done, the worst case is my total capital outlay is about equal to the car's blue book value ($6,330 in "Fair" condition, $7,100 in "Good" condition, private-party sale, per KBB.com).

She has a couple of minor issues though, that I'd like to potentially fix. Advice, "how to" or other information appreciated!

1. The glass in the driver's mirror rattles at higher speeds (highway speeds). Perhaps the mechanism holding the glass in the mirror housing is loose? The mirrors are not heated, but are electric. Is there any easy way to "tighten" the glass?

4. The sunglass holder will not stay closed. It clicks, and then falls open. An easy adjustment perhaps?

All very minor stuff, but little annoyances I'd like to fix on my own if easy enough to do. If not, I'll live with them!

Re #2 - This was a post I copied as my mirror was also loose.

"I don't know if you have the same set up as my 97 OB, but my mirror has a "clamshell" affair for the ball socket at the back of the mirror. There is a Torx headed fastener that holds things together. T120 size IIRC. Try tightening that up. Worked for me.

Commute"

Hope this helps

jimkasper