Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Experimental TURBO engine update...and more.

Guest wjmgl10

Guest wjmgl10

Ok guys and gals of the USMB...

My GL-10's 9.5:1 turbo motor has lasted past the 12k mile mark, and there has been no change with the performance or operation of the engine. This is good news.

Current fuel mileage is 28 MPG, and has been a steady 28 mpg with 175/70/13 tires.

Here's some specs on what the engine has other than the 9.5:1 OEM SUBARU pistons...

NGK V-Power Plugs

Beck/Arnley 5800 Plug Wires (and cap and rotor)

Accell Coil (OOOO! Its a chrome one! 5 hp there!:rollin: )

10W-30 Mobil 1 Fully Snythetic Oil (Filter changes every 2k miles, full oil/filter change at 4k or 6k miles)

Tweak'age of the timing (22 deg BTDC)

XT Belt system w/ A/C, P/S, ALT and of course, the waterpump and tensioner pully

Custom Conical intake and the stock twin cat exh system, with no muffler

Am I missing anything?

Oh, I re-installed the mechanical fan. NO CHANGE in HP or MPG that I can see.

*I run ONLY Shell 93 Octane gas, I have learned that ALL other gasolines SUCK. The 76 stations around here simply fill the 89 and 93 tanks up with the same 87 gas.*

28 MPG AND I'm dragging around a 4WD rear end and using the A/C and I'm not baby'in this thing, in a fully loaded GL-10. Hmmmmmmm....pretty good me thinks.

And a small update on my FT4WD conversion. I've got all the parts...just need some time and a shop to do it in. I also need to find some $ for a few misc. nuts and bolts.

RX Update while I'm at it. THe WHOLE front end is off. I'm going to install the fenderwell covers that the bodyshop decided NOT to reinstall...and a few other things. I hope to aquire a 5 point harness and get it installed too.

Long post, ok. im done!

Guest oobnuker

That's awesome! How much HP do you estimate over stock? Stock is what 110-115?

What about an intercooler and 15psi:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Guest UltimateRX

First, how do you know that the Union 76 station near you filla all the tanks with the same grade of gasoline? Second, if you can prove this, that might be some money in it for you and all those people who have been filling their tanks with 89 and 93 octane gas at that station. This is a pretty serious accusation. if it is untrue and you spread it, and the owner of the station finds out that you are doing it, you are liable to be sued.

Glad to see the turbo with the NA pistons is still holding up. With that kind of gas mileage it does sound like you are abusing it.

Guest jon61484

but isn't it always better to use the lowest compression pistons you can, and have the boost really high than to have the boost low, and a high CR?

or does it matter?

8o

Guest calebz

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>but isn't it always better to use the lowest compression pistons you can, and have the boost really high than to have the boost low, and a high CR?

Very few things are <em>always</em> true

Actually, it would depend on your needs and wants.

It would seem to me that higher C/R would give more low end oomph.. That would be better than waiting for the turbo to spool up, I would think.. add a little higher boost to <em>that</em>, and you'll be on to something

Yeah... those are the 1600 pistons right? with the 9.5:1 CR?

You could overbore it as much as possible without head damage, and amp up the cooling system... remove the spare tire area and add a second radiator, and put in line of the system. Then that one could have a fan too... and... I'm sure I could get carried away if I only had enough money. Couldn't we all?

btw - I thought I'd get rid a jon61484 and go with JonOfScio.

ahh... so is the block EA81 or EA82? GL-10 says to me, ea82.

Anyhow, as for gas around these small towns (Albany, Jefferson, Scio, Stayton) I've learned that...

There are a couple different types of Arcos, ones with additives, ones without. Not all Chevron gases are the same. Don't ever get gas in Scio. It's always $.20 higher (right now at $2 for 1 gal of reg) and is the worst gas you can put in your car next to FM gas. and the fact that the guy moved AWAY from chevron gas to get a cheaper gas just ircks me.

Maybe I should try the shell sometime soon...

Ok, the move has thrown me off a tad...so Here i come!

These are N/A pistons from an N/A shortblock. the whole thing was thrown in there. I dont know if it was carbed or SPFI. I know that the part numbers are supposed to be the same.

All are EA82 parts.

I get full boost at 2600, and depending on timing settings...I get lots of low end. I can cruise around town in 5th gear. Ive got decent power at 1500.

I have no clue what HP i have. I think its around 160...but the RX's high end is better, it low end sucks, the mid ranges between the two are about the same.

Corky: I dont know that they do it everywhere. I do know that the local 76 here in my town does it, the 87, 89 and 93 all perform the same. AND the 76 closest to charlotte motor speedway-its 93 felt and performed the same as the 87. But the competition pump DOES pump 100 octane unleaded.

That's great that the engine has held up and your getting that performance!

Calebz, I think you theory is correct. Lower compression = bigger combustion chamber = more room for fuel/air mixture.

In practictice the difference in performance on a street car may be minor.

I can adjust the timing for hi-test or low test on FERTHER and notice a big difference in performance, but if I have it set for low test and fill it with hi-test there is no difference. If I have it adjusted for hi-test and put in lo-test, it pings.

Have you tried advancing the timing for hi-test?

I have never noticed any difference in brands of gas. I always buy the cheapest I can find of whatever octanes I'm running.

Congrats wjmgl10! Exactly how much boost are you running? With or without and intercooler?

I have been trying to keep up with your project but keep losing the post(s). Thanks for the updates.

And why is my member status like a newbie while others aren't? I've been around since the old board started. :madder: :D

In practice the difference is minor when you increase compression, because the fuel/air enters when the piston is moving down to the bottom, where maximum volume is reached. The change in volume of the head or piston is a small percentage compared to this large volume. As the piston moves up, and finally gets to the top, the small change in volume of the head or piston is much more important, because the total volume is very small as well. eg when the piston is at the bottom, the volume of the head might be 5%, but when the piston is right up close to the head, it might be 50-75+%

Originally posted by WJM

Myxalplyx:

sorry, Ive been on vacation. 700 miles interstate trip. NO problems at all. HOT HOT weather, and 80+ MPH crusing.

No IC, and 7~8 PSI of boost...it's the stock wastegate setup.

This is good news and I'm glad to read about it. I'm trying to use your experience ang boost pressure as a map for what my XT6 would be capable of if it ever gets turbocharged. 7-8psi non-intercooled on the stock pistons. Woohoo!

baccaruda:

No boost increase for me! This is my daily driver.

Myxalplyx:

Me thinks that if you run 100 octane competition fuel, you could run 12 psi with 26deg of timing or better and not have any detonation. I detonate ocasionally, and my timing is set below the factory 25 deg BTDC...and I run 93 'premium' all of the time. I've noticed that Shell fuels are the best, and Amaco and Gate stations are good as well.

I think that this would be a good reliable power setup with the right fuel, or with a really good front mount IC, or a waterspray top mount...and I was thinking about a really complexly mapped out DIS system. I think I am going banannas! :banana:

• 1 year later...

Note to gas users: Depending on the gas station, there are either 1 or two types of unleaded. Recently the local Chevron ran out of gas for a few hours. But they didn't just run out of 87. They also ran out of 89 at the same time. Coincidence? Nope, I asked - their 89 octance fuel just has an additive + 87 octace. The texaco (before it got attacked by shell) ran out of all 3 grades at once, which makes me guess that they get all one kind and put in different additives....Just find that 76 that sells 100 octance for $5.50/gallon and filler up, no more problem :headbang: