Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Timing Belts??

Another post mentioned in passing that EA81 engines don't have timing belts. Is this true?? Can somebody confirm this?? I've had a number of 80-84 Subes with EA81 engines and while I've never changed a timing belt on one (or paid anyone else to), I always thought I was driving on borrowed time until one broke on me! Do they have timing gears instead? What's the deal?

Boy it hurts to be accused of infanticide! Actually the car kissed a highway divider in a snowstorm (2WD) and the car WAS still running a year later when I donated it to one of those "Donate your car so we can find a home for a blind cat" charities. It was long before I discovered the grease wheeling, mud schlogging, head banging world of the USMB site. Moosens lives close by and already has dibs when the time comes to take my 90 Loyale into the "afterlife". I have begun to lock the car knowing that he covets certain items! You always hope that the organ donor card thing has a clause that says "AFTER my death, then and only then, take what you want"!!

So now the real question.

Riddle me this Batman...

So why did SOA change from a non-maintenance item (timing gear) that would seemingly last forever and never enter the realm of the dreaded interference engine mishaps with broken/jumped timing belts destroying engines etc. in favor of the belted system?

This is all good to know! I got the '84 EA81 last July with about 141K on the odometer- paid $210 for it. (It's a GL 2D Coupe) Nice to know the timing will last forever even as the body rots away thanks to salted Utah roads. I bought my '90 Loyale Turbo AWD EA82 with 129k at a charity auction for $150. Guess I'll have to decide now whether I want to put a timing belt in it.

Dave, please read Brian's(a.k.a. Suby Junkie) last post.

It has two belts.

If you do decide on doing the belt job, there are a few other items you would be well advised to change while you are in there.

The EA82T in the Loyale is a somewhat different beast than your ol' reliable EA81

If you plan on keeping her, a FSM should be on your shopping list

Apparently my EA82T Loyale AWD wagon is sorta rare- I didn't know that when I bought it. Unfortunately(?), it's got the 4EAT auto tranny instead of a 5 speed, but I don't really mind driving it that way for the time being. It's probably even more rare with the 4EAT than it would be with a manual tranny anyway. I'll have to say it's the funnest $150 car I've ever had.

I do have a FSM for '85 EA82 which seems to cover most of what I need. Fortunately, I've found this board which should help cover any other problems.

• 2 months later...
  • 15 years later...

Ok, i know this is an older board and i hope some one can help me. Im very confused on the ea81 i have in my 82 Brat. 

I called Subaru in pueblo Colorado, they cant get a timing belt because they stop at 86. I asked to speak with a person who could help me find a solution and a male party told me it was a dual belt.... i see on this form it is a gear drive. 

Its all adding up to be more complicated than it needs to be. I have called all the stores to find belts and theres "no such thing" but some of the mechanics i called said it was belt drive too "if they remember  correctly" does anyone have a photo or something of a ea81 being a belt, chain, gear? I want to believe  gear but i just get so many different answers.

I dont want to rip out the engine at this time because i dont have seals and stuff to put it back in quick.  This whole thing started with a co worker saying the timing belts go out so fast or often. I bought the car a week ago and i love the lil brat. But now im worried i wont find a simple part (belt,chain) if it goes out and i have to park it till i can afford a swap.

@Ellaurance - NO TIMING BELT. Single, dual or otherwise on the EA81.

The EA81 definitely has a set of gears at the back of the engine as mentioned previously. No need to touch these! 

Just keep the oil and coolant in the right places and enjoy the ride. They’re a tough little engine the EA81. 

Now EA82 on the other hand, this thing has dual cam belts/timing belts. A rubber band could be better... they’ve got black cam covers on the front of the engine and look very different to the EA81. 

EA81 has dizzy at the front of the engine, above and to the RHS (vehcile’s RHS) of the crank. 

EA82 hasthe dizzy at the back of the LHS head. 

Hope this clears up any confusion. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo
  • Thanks 1

@el_freddo It certainly does! Im very new to the Subaru way and it confused me still. I appreciate the information so much. I do have a spare ea81 on the way that came with the deal.i will get a better look at what you are talking about when i rebuild that one, as a just in case and understanding Subaru. 

It runs but it wont stay running on idle or stop.. i havent checked compression but i will when i start looking at the hitachi? Carburetor for this weekend. 

Its a fun little ride 4wd works, lights, heater(sorta has rusty valve and stays open) im impressed so far. Im originaly a ford/mopar guy and this little brat deserves the love too.

Anyway sorry for ranting im just super excited on my project daily driver.  Thank you for clearing that up for me @el_freddo im sure i will have more questions. And while im rebuilding the spare ea81 maby some one else will want information :)