Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Axle Shafts

N8NQU

consensus is to not buy remanne'd axles. they fail at an alarming rate. go with MWE (find them here on this site) or Subaru OEM axles. rebuilds break, i'm a victim talking from experience. about a week and 50 miles on a "new" axle, though not from the guys you posted. but still, blew to pieces while i was leaving work.

if cheap is a must, the best bet (and it's a good idea actually) is to get a used axle at about $25. the subaru axles last forever. for that matter....don't even replace the rears, it's not necessary. i've put 100,000+ miles on broken rear (original) CV axles. got the car at 105,000 with a broken boot, now at 220,000 on the same axles. i wouldn't worry about the rears. i don't worry much about the fronts either, but they start getting noisey.

post in the parts wanted section of this forum that you want some used axles with good boots. some soobs break the drivers side boot fairly regularly (like EVERY XT6 i own) because the exhaust/muffler is right there heating up the rubber boot and causing it to fail earlier than the other side.