Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all - Looking for some coaching on my 91 Legacy wagon. It's got about 140k miles, original owner. I get some wobble in the front end at freeway speeds, which is annoying. It gets solid once brakes are applied, or below the freeway speed. Would this be probably ball joints, or would it be tie rod ends? I'm assuming whichever it is, the car would require an alignment after the part replacement, right?

Thanks for the help!

Jack up the car and see if the wheels wiggle perpundicular to the car. That will tell you if its wheel bearings or ball joints. If there is some play look at your bal joints when you wiggle it. If you see them wiggeling too and they look shot... well its ball joint time. If its wiggeling and the ball joints look fine its bearings.

It could be some other things but this is a very easy test to start with for trouble shooting this issue.

Thanks

When I first got my 91 Legacy, it had warped rotors, and I replaced those to cure the braking wobble it had. From the previous owner's maintenance records I found that the front end had been fixed up a couple of years prior and I still have a slight wobble at high speed. I always figured it was the rims going more and more out of round with time and the pounding they are subjected to. The tires aren't too bad, but they don't have too much life left in them, so they probably aren't quite balanced either.

Just some extra thoughts I thought I'd share with you...

Thanks for the advice. Tires are brand new, as well as the brakes. With this happening, I figured I'd taken out a few of the variables for the problem. I'll check the bearings and the ball joints this weekend. I'm figuring that since the car has 140k miles, and neither the bearings, ball joints, or tie-rods have not been touched since new, I may just do them all, and get them up to snuff.

I'll give an update once I learn the issue.