Ultimate Subaru Message Board

150K preventive maintenance with engine swap?

I am planning on buying a 98 subaru AT 150K miles with blown head gasket from a friend for like $3000 US. Help would be appreciated for deciding on work to do on the car. i have many questions:

Engine:

- Should I just replace the gasket or get a new engine from

http://www.ccrengines.com? Seems the difference is

$1000 to get a zero-miles engine with waranty...

- Any recommended shops in South Bay Area, CA for that

(around Santa Clara county)?

Preventive:

In any case, the engine needs to be pulled out, right?

So more prevention maintenance should be done:

- Reading the forum, I should ask to replace at the same time:

* rear seperator plate

* rear crankshaft oil seal and o-ring.

* Anything else needs to be done while the engine is out?

Anything in A/T Transmission?

Monst importantly:

At 150K miles, what parts in need of attention?

I.e. what are the parts likely to be worn and needing attention?

Which ones would be costly and need to be done by a mechanic

(I can do small stuff)?

Seems like "torque bind" is not an issue post-97 models.

If I work fast, it can be used as a snowmobile this year :burnout:

Thanks!

If you get a CCR engine, 90% of your post is moot. General rule of thumb is if it is anything that is buried when the engine is in it, change it while it is out.

Otherwise if you go the HG Route

Spark Plugs

timing belt

tensioner

cam seals

main seals front and rear

the plasic seprator thingie (can someone explain to me what that is im clueless)

water pump

Reseal the oil pump

"O" rings on the PS hose at the rack (much easier to do with no engine in the car) These may not leak, but its nice to change them just in case

Fan Belts

Replace all coolant hose

Factory Themostat

Inspect the CV joints and ball joints tie rod ends bushings and wheel bearings

I would take a good look at the radiator and make sure its not clogged and in good shape

Insepct the universal joint in the steering column for wear and binding

Thats all i can think of

nipper

You know the internet is a funny place where you are more likely to run into people that are going through EXACTLY what you are.:)

I'm at the tail end of my CCR install for a 2.2L.

My justification is similar to your assessment. The cost of a head rebuild along with all the other crap that inevitably needs to be replaced put it on par with a rebuilt engine from CCR.:-\

Here is the link to my adventure:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924535

Please let us know what you decide!:)

Could you get a better price on the vehicle? Running vehicles without a blown head gasket routinely sell for under $3000 at your mileage and year. I'd look for a better deal. Three subaru's of your vintage locally sold for $800, $500 and $1,500 - 2 with blown head gaskets and one with an "engine problem". i can buy you one and ship it to you for well under $3,000.

If you stick with the car and want to keep it awhile then CCR is a great route, they have an excellent reputation. You get a warranty and a brand new motor. Well worth the extra expense. Replace the torque converter seal on the transmission and it should be golden.

Thanks guys,

Grossgary:

I'd love to find a cheaper car :) especially, since the engine swap is gonna be $4000 to $5000 total, but where do you see them at the price you mention? Craigslist or autotrader don't have that kind of price...

Nipper:

I guess my question was more like "OK, what's burried under the engine I need to take care of" because I should assess total cost if I ask a shop to do it all. The swap itself will likely be in the $4000 range with 12 hours of labor.

JPX:

I saw your thread. And looking at how long it is took you, I think it might be worth paying the 10~12 hours of labor to install the engine. Especially: I don't have a garage :) and would probably want a mentor for my 1st engine swap. The engine itself will run around ~ $3200, so $4Kish for a swap.