Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 High Roof touring wagon?

I am looking at buying a 1984 4Wd Touring wagon ( a GL but with the high roof and MY body style ) It is a dealer demo, one owner, factory chrome wheels, roof rack, bull bar and everything else. It has a full service history and only 40 K miles on it. It is immaculate but it is a fair drive to look at it.

I was wondering if the 84 (read 83, cause they swapped to the new shape in Nov 84 in Oz.), is the EA81 motor or the OHC EA82 motor. It has a 4sp. manual (rare option in this model). Does anyone know, especially any ozzie members?

Thanks This is good a EA81 with 40 K shouldnt even make the famous suby tick - WOW!

EA81's never tick.... none of mine have, and I've never heard anyone else report it either. That is characteristic of the EA82 overhead cam design, and usually a result of poor oil pressure to the lifters, and their distance from the oil pump. Bad cam tower o-rings are common, which add to the problem.

Also, if it's the same as here, then an 84 with the 4 speed will have solid lifters, which require manual adjustment every 30k miles or so. Check the valve covers for a gold sticker that says "Do Not Adjust Valve Clearances" - that will indicate a hydro lifter engine. In the states, only 83/84 automatics had those, and in 85+ the Brat and Hatchback all had them.

GD