Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PLease Explain OBDII To Me?!

My big question is, if I get a code scanner do I still need a trouble code chart like the older cars, or does the scanner itself tell what the problem area is (for example, a bad temp. sensor, solenoid valve, etc.)? If I need a manual to give me the codes, can someone recommend a good manual for me? I'm thinking about buying a scanner, but I would like to know some of the details of using one before I spend the big bucks. Last, is a '95 Legacy LSi OBDII? I hear some '95s are and some aren't. Thanks for your help.

All vehicles sold in the USA had to be OBDII compliant by 1996. Alot were onboard by 95. Yours should be OBDII compliant. Look at the emissions sticker under your hood, it will say on there. Also look at your dash below and to the left of your steering colum. if ther is a little door there with a 16 pin connector behind it you are in business.

Most hand held scanners will give you the generic OBDII code deffinitions. These codes are all the same for every make of car.

There are also manufacture spacific codes that the cheaper scanners will give the number but not the deffinition. That info is not redaly avalibale, but is atainable.

If you are just looking to pull and clear codes on your own car you don't need anything to fancy. If you want to see the frezze frame data that is stored at the time a code is set. Or want to see the data stream will your car is running or while your are driving, you will need to spend more. Haveing access to this extra data is good if you know how to interpit it, otherwise it will be usless.

By the way I have a KAL Equiptment scanner for pulling and clearing codes, that will give all the generic code definitions. Will give other codes, but no definitions. Works great but I needed to upgrade since I work on cars for a liveing & I needed more power. It is for sale, $125+ shipping. I will provide a list of code definitions for the manufacture spacific codes.

What a coincidence Walker, that's the scanner I'm looking at! My local NAPA ordered it in for me. Does it work OK? I'm just looking for something to use backyard mechanicing, and this was the cheapest one I came up with. I'm having problems with my car, and I'm too stubborn to take it to a dealer. I want to fix it myself. If you tell me it works OK, I'll probably buy it tomorrow. Mama's gettin' POed that her car quits all the time!

Over 2 years ago I purchased the following for $75. I hook it to and old 486 laptop I put on the front seat of the car. It uses Windows or make a DOS bootable diskette. The site contains the Software which supports All 4 protocols now in use.

I used it to date on Ford's, GM's, Mopars, Toyota, BMW and of course Subaru's. By mapping the O2 sensor, I found some to be bad, others good. You can also watch the Map sensor and Throttle position sensor. Best $75 Tool I purchased since my MacPhearson compressors in 1972 for my Volkswagon 411.

http://obddiagnostics.com/

WAWalker, thanks for the heads-up on the scanner. I picked mine up this afternoon. I almost went and ordered a new cam position sensor and coolant temp. sensor to fix my car stalling problem, but the scanner tells me it's the crank position position sensor. I would have been more than a little upset to get those sensors replaced and my car still stall! Looks like it'll work out pretty decent. Thanks again.