Ultimate Subaru Message Board

body designation on wagons.

i wanted to get a truck plate for my soob.

i tell them its a multi purpose vehicle, its a wagon.

they have it down as a 4S, which is what i believe to be a sedan. they say it has to be a 4W for the truck plate.

the lady tells me they go by the last title. i told them it was a florida title, and the body designation was not listed.

when i applied for the title, they had to look up for the designation. i told them that the make is SBU, and it should be a 5w (as it is on my 83 wagon).

i had a previous registration, car originally a colorado car, but i got it with an indiana title. it was the mentioned 83 wagon, it was the make was designated as a SUB, but i said it was supposed to be SBU and they found that and corrected it.

so that proves the license branch makes mistakes

they want to act like i am trying to pull the wool, and wer being "politely Rude" about it.

so what is the body designation for the 87 wagons? i know it should be 4 or 5w, my buddy had a truck plate on an 88 gl wagon, spfi 4wdAT wagon

Can't help you on the Wagon ID, there Miles. But had simular problem getting the '82 re-titled to a Michigan title, from an Illinios title.

Was at the Secretary of State office for over an 1:45, probally closer to 2 hours, just to do 5 minutes worth of paper work. I had the title for the '86 with me to show what it should be registered as. Told me the year differance would change the way it was registered.

HUH?!!? Excuse me, they are the same vehicle, parts will swap between them. Except for the difference in headlights, they are basically identical. The '86 is listed as a truck, as it should be. They couldn't find the '82 listed as a truck, so they wouldn't list it as one, or didn't want to.

Finally got them to look under the Subaru listings in the book. There it was. IDed as a truck. They were trying to find it under the standard listing for truck models, and just wouldn't listen to me.

I have retitled more vehicles than most of the people that work in the local office of the SoS, I know what i'm talking about when it comes to this stuff.

I even know how to beat the system, and get a clear title, in my name, to a brand new vehicle. Just don't chose to use that knowledge in that fashion.

I can tell you that Kentucky was the easiest place I was ever in to get a vehicle retitled. Just outright plain and simple method they have there.

New York, Mass and CT all list wagons as "STWAG". The same goes for the Forester (in Mass anyway) but I think that's because it meets all the Federal passenger car standards...there's no difference in commercial and passenger/combo registrations up here, except combos and commercials are required for pickup trucks, and you can't drive a combo/comm licensed vehicle on the Wilbur Cross Parkway in CT. I know this doesn't help much--why do you want a combo plate, anyway?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i was right. time came to renew my plate, so i mentioned a discrepency with my title. i said that i wasnt taken seriously the first time, and it was never looked up.

so i go in today to look it up, mentioning the jf2 thing. sure enough, the lady cracks open a book, ans counds back so many letters, and I WAS CORRECT!

the title SHOULD say 4w instead of 4s. but for me to correct that anf get am MPV plate, it will cost me 15 bucks for a new title.

so i have to pay for their f*ckup. the dum bizzle owes me 15 bucks! i hope they have a form to have the state reimburse me

just like the time i registered my motorcycle, made mention to spell my name right. sure enough she spelled it wrong, printed it out. and from right there i would have had to pay again to correct it. stupid

but what do you expect from a license service system that will inadvertently allow you to have a different address on the license, registration, and title. and the name spelled different on each one

i'll be damned if i get a "false and fictitious" ticket because my title says sedan when im driving a wagon

oh well, the truck plate is more, at least i know what to do from here, its all good now