Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99obw - steering coupler rattle? over bumps

(i would have thought this issue was already discussed on the board, but couldn't find it... sorry if this is a repeat...)

SO. I get a distinct rattle when I and turning tightly, and I drive at a SLOW speed over a sharp edge (say, a lip of a parking lot, or grate, etc....) I have a 99 outback wgn with 103k miles.

I feel the rattle in the steering wheel (reverberates for a second after you hit the bump). And it can be heard, as a muffled low frequency rattle coming from the front of the car.

I actually got to demo it to a Subaru mechanic, he noticed it. He said that it was the steering coupler (or something like that). And that it is common and has no detrimental effects.

I'm fairly certain that this is not anything loose, it's not bearings, and it's not CV related. It only happens during tight turns, and I only notice it when going slow, as in under 20 mph.

What is this? Was the mechanic right? Is this bad?

Thanks. There are some really knowledgeable people on this board, it's awesome. Such a big help.

excellent... about what range of prices will a mechanic charge to install the new dampened u-joint part?

i saw the part listed on 1stsubaruparts.com for about $90. how invasive is the install? is there a guide someone wrote up somewhere?

I noticed the part WAWalker listed is for the legacy model. i found an article that lists a specific part# for the outback: 34160AC090. or does the 34160AC030 part # do the trick for legacy outbacks as well as legacys?

thanks