Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radio to fit in 1987 GL10?

Anybody know what years radio will fit in a GL10 wagon and why the current radio has to be unplugged and plugged back in before it will work? I currently have a newer radio in, but the heat sink on back is too big so it will not go back all the way so it is just hanging there.:horse:

I don't know if the GL-10 is more cramped than the GL but you can get a face-plate kit that makes the entire radio area stick out an extra half-inch... it works for most decks (my JVC MP3 deck, into an '85 GL, and Blaupukt MP3 deck, into an '88 GL turbo) and even has a little space underneath to mount the GL-10 trip computer controls sideways (or a small cb radio)...

the kit is available at most places that install car stereos... it's probably about $15, plus the extra $10 for the wiring harness, so you don't have to chop up the car's wiring harness...

follow the instrucitons on the page that samo linked, there's good info there...

--Spiffy

Anybody know what years radio will fit in a GL10 wagon and why the current radio has to be unplugged and plugged back in before it will work? I currently have a newer radio in, but the heat sink on back is too big so it will not go back all the way so it is just hanging there.:horse:

I'm 3/4ths of the way done installing a radio out of an '02 WRX into my '88 GL-10. It involved some cutting behind the dash, a little bit of fab work and sanding on a faceplate adapted from a '90 Loyale head unit and a custom hanger, plus the reverse harness for the WRX head out of a '97 Outback Sport and the Metra forward harness for EA82s mentioned on Samo's page. So far it's wired in and working, and the faceplate is on, but there's still more drilling to be done, and the heater ductwork behind the dash is needing to be rerouted.