Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all,

Need to dust off the account and come out of hiding. I am still plunking away at the engine swap. Here is the issue now.

There is fuel getting to the cylinders, and the compressions seems good, but there are some spark issues. At the coil, i cant get spark at one lead and the others are very weak.

I am going to check to make sure the signal etc has continuity with the ECU so its all working right but i have a couple questions

1. In my 97 impreza there is an ignitor as part of the ignition system seperate from the coil. But for the life of me i cant find it on the 99 engine. Did they go to a ignition coil/ignitor combo in the newer engines

2. Any ideas where i can find a manual on testing the coil to make sure it is good??

Thanks guys

Cory

Hello all,

1. In my 97 impreza 2.2 there is an ignitor as part of the ignition system seperate from the coil. But for the life of me i cant find it on the 99 engine. Did they go to a ignition coil/ignitor combo in the newer engines

Cory

My 97 Impreza has the newer coil with the intergrated ignitor. I believe the difference is, the older coils without the ignitor are a little smaller than the newer ones and have femal ends for the plug wires. The newer coils have males ends for the plug wires.

I just bought a new one for my car and it didn't help. I'm going to sell the car so I'll probably take the new one off and put it on ebay to try to get a little of my money back.

interesting, my 97 has the ignitor seperately....OBW99 thanks for the help those are what i needed:headbang:
You're welcome. To head off any possible confusion, here's something I just said in another thread:

By the way, I noticed that there are errors in the "DirectIgnition.pdf" info. In the "Ignition Coil Testing" section, the terminal numbers listed are reversed between the primary and secondary; however, the diagram is labeled correctly. The correct numbering relative to expected resistance is in "IgnitionCoil.pdf"; you can use the diagram from "DirectIgnition.pdf" to identify the terminal numbers.