Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Comp. to quad headlight conversion?

Hey everyone,

I'm in the middle of swapping my composite headlights for the quad sealed beams. The physical part is done, but I'm having problems w/ the wiring. Is there anything I need to change about the wiring to get it to work properly? I've tried a couple combinations of swapping wires around but always have something not right. Now w/ the low beams on the highs have a really dim glow.:confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

blown fuse?

When I re-wired my headlights, I pulled one of the fuses (just out of curiousity) and I had that similar problem.

Mine uses a common hot system. All the wires are hot when the lights are off and key on. Then one goes to ground when you turn them on.

Low beams on:

Low beam: low; High beam: high; Return: high

High Beams on:

Low beam: high; High beam: low; Return: high

Hafta go out and check which wires are what.

What's da year/model/etc? Specs would be helpful! :cornfuzz: :D :wave:

• 1 year later...

Save yourself a lot of grief and rewire the lights using relays and run the 12V for the lamps directly off a fused line to the battery and fresh ground returns. Then use the socket of the existing wiring to turn the relays on and off. If I can find it, I'll post the link to a wiring diagram (it was posted here at one time; might even have been the ezboard it was so long ago). Good luck with it.