Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 Legacy OB 2.5 to 2.2 swap

I'm swapping in a '95 EJ 22 into my '98 EJ25 Outback wagon... while I've got the engine out of the car, I'm going to do the clutch and some other stuff...I need a bit of advice...

1.) Do most people prefer an OEM subaru clutch or aftermarket? I have heard complaints of prematurely chattering OEM Subaru clutches. BS or a real issue?

2.) I suppose I should replace the rear oil separator plate (did a search for the p/n for a metal one--I swear I saw a thread on that here the other day.) Does anyone have the p/n handy? I'm also going to do the rear main crank seal and the o-ring for that cover on the back of the camshaft...anything else I'm forgetting here? I'm going to deal with the timing belt, water pump & front seals once I have the engine in the car and know it's not a dud-- it's a junkyard engine.

3.) Just to double check, I am planning on bolting up the 2.5 flywheel & pressure plate to the 2.2 engine. This will fit, right?

4.) The EJ22 uses a formed in place oil pan gasket, no? What is the best sealant for this application?

Answers & any other pointers will be appreciated. Hopefully I haven't worn you folks out with my questions... Thanks!

Nathan

Check EBay for you clutch kit. I got an OEM for 120+ I'm happy with it so far.

Yes the flywheel and pressure plate will bolt right up.

Unless the rear main is leaking, I'd leave it. These are good seals. Do the oil seperator. Order your parts from Subiegal or one of the other dealers with discounts. Get them all and then you'll have them.

www.subarugenuineparts.com or www.1stsubaruparts.com

Red RTV is good for the oil pan gasket, just don't over do it.

I've been real happy with this swap, I've done 4 so far.