Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power Steering Pump Pressure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RMVR53

RMVR53

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Denver Metro

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:25 AM

I am converting a different car to PS and am looking at small area (space) PS pumps with off-pump reservoirs. Anyone know the pressure output of Ru PS pumps and is there different pressures from different pumps/years or they "all the same"

thanks

Bill

(87 XT)

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:30 PM

I am converting a different car to PS and am looking at small area (space) PS pumps with off-pump reservoirs. Anyone know the pressure output of Ru PS pumps and is there different pressures from different pumps/years or they "all the same"

thanks

Bill

(87 XT)

Not sure, but have you considered locating the electric power steering from an XT6?

GD

#3 RMVR53

RMVR53

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Denver Metro

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:37 PM

Not sure, but have you considered locating the electric power steering from an XT6?

GD

nope...wasn't aware XT6 was electric PS...will investigate...anyone know the pressure of these?

I need to be in the 800-1200 psi range for best performance

Bill

#4 RMVR53

RMVR53

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Denver Metro

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:58 PM

anyone know pressures?

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:05 PM

You are probably going to have to start looking at factory service manuals for this info - sorry but I don't have any that are appropriate. Thing is, the Subaru PS pumps are near indestructible, and so are the racks. I think that possibly they could outlast the engine and the body of the car several times over. I have never seen or even heard of one failing (not talking XT6 here). It is quite the mystery as to exactly what magic the Subaru gods put into the PS system - probably have a power steering fairy that sprinkles them with magical fairy fluid as they roll off the assembly. :clap:

GD

#6 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:43 PM

I looked at my FSM for 1988 Subaru XT.

For the 1800cc XT:
Regular Pressure: 142 PSI
Relief and working pressure: 853-1067 PSI

For the XT6 w/ Electric P/S pump:
Relief and working pressure: 967-1067 PSI

I'm not sure what those values mean, but I'm sure you do. I'd be willing to bet that the XT uses the same p/s pump as other EA-82s.

The XT6 has an electric power steering pump with varying pressure called the 'cybrid' system. If you use the XT6 power steering pump, make sure you use a bottle of the special power steering fluid straight from the dealership designed for these. ATF eats away at the seals.

Here's a thread discussing similar conversions

#7 RMVR53

RMVR53

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Denver Metro

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:18 PM

[quote name='mikeshoup']I looked at my FSM for 1988 Subaru XT.

For the 1800cc XT:
Relief and working pressure: 853-1067 PSI

For the XT6 w/ Electric P/S pump:
Relief and working pressure: 967-1067 PSI

thank you thank you! !!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users