Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advice on a 1997 legacy outback.....

Hey guys...I just joined the forum because I am thinking about buying a 1997 legacy outback with 92,000 miles on it. I just turned 19 today and I am going to be commuting to college in the fall about 40 min drive. I am just wondering if anyone would own an outback and can givce me the positives and negatives about their experience. I did car facts on it and it said there was frame damage at one point so I'm not to sure about it now. The car is also being sold for 5,500 which I find pretty good becaus ethe retail says 8 grand, but I wnat to know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Kip

I'd get a whole lot more information on that. Having frame damage on an AWD car could be very expensive if you have problems.

Book values aside, 97's with over 100K sell for $3,000 to $5,000 around here. And you have to be sure it does not have problems with head gaskets.

You're also facing a major maintenance at just over 100K - it's usually $600 at a garage and as much as $900 at a dealer.

AWD cars aren't the best choice on a tight budget. FWD and a set of dedicated snows is a better choice.

I did car facts on it and it said there was frame damage at one point so I'm not to sure about it now.

I personally would never buy a car with a total title or been in a major wreak no matter how much you save, you have to ask if its worth the safety it might not provide or the reliability. Anyways i believe cars that have branded titles are usally worth about half the value of a car withone such a history.