Ultimate Subaru Message Board

who makes the 5speed swap crosmemeberS

tailgatewagon

Isn't all you have to do is drill the bottom holes in mounts to match the transmission and slot out the the holes in the crossmember?

Thats what I did and it seemed to work (by that I mean that the transmission hasnt fallen out yet as its sitting in my garage)

BTW on that same note, I ran into a problem with this: my 4WD lever seems to be interfering with the gear lever in the brat, any suggestions?

I'm in the middle of this too. couldnt I just take the member from the car that I'm getting the trans from? btw I'm putting the 5s d/r into my 84 hatch, bolting it up to the ea81, but using the ea82 flywheel, cluth, and pressure plate. the only other Qs? I might have is the axles, If I take the cv's, brakes/rotors, all of that and put it onto the hatch will there be any issues between lenght/spline #'s. or take cv's and take apart to make them fit onto trans. I know ea82 cv's are longer or something, but how hard is it to rebuild cvs? What about the driveline, I dont know if I ACTUALLY need the carrier bearing or just a longer drivelone. Thanks for the input, and I'll be looking/posting for more info!

yes, I just got the motor/trans. out and have the two trans. sitting next to each other. look really similiar except, the 4wd lever is on the other side, about a 10'' difference between the tail shafts length, and the wiring plug is round instead of square like whats on the 4speed, luckily I cut it out w/5s d/r trans so I'll cut and join so it is the round plug. So how about this... If I take the tail shaft off the 4s, and take the one off of the 5s, swap so that the longer (ea81) tail shaft is on the 5s trans would I need to shorten/lengthen the driveline and put in the carrier bearing? Sorry I always end up writing soo much.. Or take and do the same except take the 5s gear box and 4s tail shaft onto the ea81 trans. so that the motor mounts are good/angled right way. This has me thinking, anyway back to it:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

so guys, I think I'm into deep. I am double thinking of doing this swap. I have the mounts off both trans. and one is almost just right, how do I slot it, or drill it out? Also the cv shafts need to be switched over to ea82 knuckles, how hard is this? never rebuilt cvs just had warrantys... So if I dont do this, I have to fix my 4s d/r that has some sloppy issues, it comes out of gear when shifting, the pin from linkage to trans. thing. ( dont know what its called) its drilled out and bolted but still loose. so much to do, so little time. thanks all! Subies rule, in E. Wa we just got a pretty good winter storm for March, but we Subaru, were the only ones on the highway, tons of roads were closed. Subie handled it! Later.

From my very limited knowledge on the subject: You have a turbo tranny, (if the EA81 CV's don't fit you do) that means you will also have to get a rear diff from the same tranny setup because I dont belive they match up.

To slot the mounts I used a mill.