Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru must have been nuts!!!

WHO THE HELL SHIFTS AT 4000rpm ALL THE TIME!!!

I never really shift below 4000rpm... I usually shift after 5000rpm...

and yeah, it's all about the power curve... especially on my turbo, you don't want to shift right after it's kicked in...

--Spiffy

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought all small displacement, high compression (Japanese) engines had to be readlined to get anything out of them. If the tack in my girlfriend's Honda isn't dancing, then we are probably at a stop light.

In regards to how long the engine will last; it will last longer than your rocker pannels and your first 3 sets of cv joints, probably twice to 3 times as long.

If your wife doesn't like you driving like that, put her behind the wheel so she can see that if you want to get anywhere before the next ice age you have to wind it out.

Enjoy your Subaru. Learning all of the little quirks that make them different from other cars is part of the fun of owning them. It is also the first sign of addiction:eek:

WHO THE HELL SHIFTS AT 4000rpm ALL THE TIME!!!

i shift at 7000 rpm all the time however i have no exhaust=no backpressure

been doing it for a while and still no problem and evean before that i shifted at 6000rpm all the time with no problem

the only real problem is the fact that it eats 2 quarts of oil per thousand miles, but then it is an old subie

old subie = lots-a-leaks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

in the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "normal" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91 in Europe.

at 3K you arent even hitting the power band!!

1989 EA82, 225,500 miles...regularly shift @ 3500 - 4K for "normal" driving (in traffic).

Out on the open back roads - 4500 - 5000 rpms (or higher, depending on my mood) just because! :headbang:

getting on the freeway (on ramp) wind that puppy up to 5500 - 6000 easy! got to get that speed up to avoid being run over by the semi barrelling up behind ya! :-p

Have hit 70mph in third gear (5 spd tranny) many times. and just for the record, I run the cheapest gas I can get (ie: lowest octane)

I will admit to going a bit easy on it lately, but that is due to needing to replace tierod ends - when those get changed it will be back to driving like a "maniac" again!! :grin: I love these cars!!

My 86 wagon has 563k on it and thats the orginal bottom end I don't know how my aunt drove it before it went throw three of her boys when they were in high school but I know how i drive it 5000k a shift its seen redline at many red lightes and before the lift and the 27s it seen 75-80 in third gear at few

ps. burns a quart to a 1000 miles no leaks

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4800&cat=500&ppuser=2104&sl=8

from a few monthes ago

i had a 87gl wagon with 27s on it... rust was killing it and so i drove it like it was stolen. we never shifted before the valvs started floating we just floord it and when it start running out of power then we shifted anyway the car lasted 10,000 miles driving like this before the center mount for the drivline ripped out and left me as a two wheel drive. i gave the car away. it was promptly fliped end for end. and the motor now lives in an 86 wagon. that was 4 years ago and the car is still running around. with over 200k on the motor....

I used to drive a load of people up to the pass every weekend in my 87 and 83 wagons. Four people and gear, it was floored for the last ten miles every trip. I'd run it at over 4500 rpms for 15 min. or so and never had any problems. Everyone comented that it sounded like an airplane taking off.

David

Alright, I'll admit it, I shift at about 3k (maybe wind it up to like 5k every once in awhile but not often) but after reading all of this, I have been enlightened to bump up shift points.

One question though, lugging is hard to avoid when turning a corner or whatever and your in second going like 10 and there is no way you can shift into 1 but you are going maybe 1 or 1.5k in 2nd. Then it lugs and sputters up to 3k. I can't imagine there is anyway to avoid this luggin except maybe taking corners at 30 instead?

i had a 87gl wagon with 27s on it... rust was killing it and so i drove it like it was stolen.

Haha that's exactly how I would describe driving my lifted 86 Sedan, it NEVER gets shifted before 4500 and that's when I'm being nice to it. Gotta drive it like that just to move with 235/75/R15 M/T's. The RX on the other hand, well...never really gets shifted before 4200-4500..have hit redline a few times, but never held it there. Still have to remind my wife to drive the older Roo's like that, not like her legacy that has power much lower in the RPM's.

i had to do it i swear, a prick was sitting in his 93 v6 altima and when i left the like i took it to 3500rpm and shifted...when i looked over there he was nosing up on me, i could hear he was working his engine so in second i hit the secondary (ooooooww), took it to 6500rpm and dropped into third. the tires chirped and when i looked down i saw i was doing 85kph in a 60 zone, i was done (hehehe and so was he):burnout:

feel the power of my thundering 72hp :headbang:

ps if i see on more person quoting "who the hell shifts at 4000rpm" i'm gunna be pissed

It's been a while since I've been here, but I saw this thread and had to read/respond :)

I tried a tank of gas (I always run super unleaded) with shifting at 3K and a tank of gas shifting at 4K. I got *better* mileage shifting at 4K!

Mine started running like doo yesterday - I think it's time to take her out and rev 'er up..............

How do you downshift into 1st when going like 10 or 15? rev matching wouldn't work right?

Double clutch it down and give it a matching rev in the middle.

It will slot right in there when you get it right.

Good practice for any downshift when you are really hooting, or committed to the line of a corner and don't want to upset the cars weight distribution...