Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Justy Problem Areas?

I'm going to be looking at a '91 Justy GL 4WD for a friend tomorrow and I was wondering if any owners or fans could give me any ideas on what justy specific stuff I should check on the car to decide if its worth buying? I already plan on checking the basics, but are there any parts on Justys that tend to go out?

by what i've been reading the oil pump is one of the things to watch for.keep a eye out for the light coming on while test driving it along with letting the clutch out while idleing,so the rps drop a bit to see if the low pressure light comes on.

that's what i've read.i just got a 94 and i think after doing a tune-up she run perfect.

I'm going to be looking at a '91 Justy GL 4WD for a friend tomorrow and I was wondering if any owners or fans could give me any ideas on what justy specific stuff I should check on the car to decide if its worth buying? I already plan on checking the basics, but are there any parts on Justys that tend to go out?

Make sure it's manual transmission, as the automatic ECVT trans is a big problem to fix, both $$$-wise and expertise-wise.

I had a 91 GL 4WD 5-speed and loved it! Wish I had kept it. Some 91s may have been carbed, but my GL was fuel injected.

Ok, so look for oil leaks. What about rust? Do these cars have any problem areas on the body? How does the electrical system stand the test of time? This car is FI with a 5 speed, so its all good in that respect. What else should I look at, or is that just about everything?

Oil leaks are common but relatively easy to fix. The electrical system is great. Check the brake lines, and jiggle the doors around and check the drain plugs--sometimes water can accumulate on the door bottoms. Other than that, rust is only sometimes an issue with the first-gen models in the normal places you'd look on a wagon; later models are very well-built. Also, the exhaust system is somewhat expensive and very problematic, and the heat shields may make a racket--check to make sure they're there as well. Tires cost me $115 for a set of 5 new ones last time I had them replaced. Regular maintenance is very cheap, anything out of the ordinary, not so. The local dealer isn't so great about getting Justy parts, either.

The local dealer isn't so great about getting Justy parts, either.

tell me about it.tried local dealer for just a air filter and they told me i'd have to wait 1-2 days for it to come in.

:confused: (was told that they're not a common car)

The muffler does get splashed with water a lot & seems to last only a couple of years for me. At a dealer, the muffler alone, is near $400. You can get a small universal muffler at an auto parts store, adapt it & use it. $20. I pay a welder a little to install & weld the old rods in place that are mounted on the sides of the muffler.$20 more

if any of you justy folks ever get an ECVT I have a 1988 supplement for the ECVT system. I will loan it to anyone that wants to keep an ECVT on the road. Key word here is LOAN!!!!!!!!

Oh and the Justys are cool too. I never drove one but I think they would be a fun little car to cruise in.

Quick funny story: bunch of years ago when I was in college i was out playing in the snow in my XT-T. I was out on a back road and went by a farm house out in the middle of nowhere. In the driveway buried up to the door mirrors was a justy 4wd. I guess they thought they could make it (very large drifts) in the driveway but instead they sunk it and had to "dukes of hazzard" themselves out of the door windows. Very funny sighting...I can still see it in my head. :)

I had a carbed Justy, 87 or so, carb gave issues. I have heard to avoid ECVT like the plague of the devil. Just hearsay. I know that stuff like struts, etc, for my Justy was hard to find and pricey at the dealer. Fun little car as long as you don't hit a stray dog, cat, or possum crossing the road and total it and kill yourself. Not really worth wearing a seat belt in, so take it out to save weight as it won't help you anyway the car is so small and light. Cool thing is, you can just about reach out from the drivers seat and open the fuel door ( without getting out )! Kind of fun to drive in a wierd way.

I just picked up an '89 carbed Justy with the manual 5 speed. It had a lot of electrical problems when I got it, but have resolved most of them. Still have the "check engine light" on, and can't seem to find how to read the codes for it. :confused: Even took it to a mechanic and he couldn't read them. Anyway, driving it is a blast, I actually like the fact it doesn't have power steering, it feels like a high speed go-cart. Really zippy, considering it has a little 1.2L 3 cyl engine. If you do need parts, I've had a lot of luck getting things through http://www.car-part.com/ I got an engine computer and coil pack shipped to my door for $52. It's also nice to have the push-button 4-wheel drive option if you live in a winter climate like Idaho. Good luck and let us know if you get it.

so,what's the scoop???

have you joined the justy crew yet??:headbang: