Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Another option for bigger wheels!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TROGDOR!

TROGDOR!

Pastor of Muppets

• Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Morgantown, WV

Posted 17 October 2003 - 12:25 PM

I was browsing car-part.com and found something interesting....

It seems 2WD EA82's had 14x5" spare tires.

Peugeot 505's take 14x5.5" steelies, only a mere half inch wider.

And.... ta daa... Peugeot 504's, which many of us run the wheels from, use...... 14x5".

So if you can run big tires on Peugeot 504 14x5's, why not run them on Subaru 14x5's? Sure would take care of that nasty offset problem...

#2 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 17 October 2003 - 12:32 PM

I've heard that even the spare tire rim should only be used as a temporary thing

#3 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 17 October 2003 - 02:43 PM

There is a board member running spare rims and offroad treads. Good luck finding a shop that will mount off road meats onto a spare tire rim. Luckily the the USMB member (sorry I dont remember your name!) has the equipment himself to mount them at his own risk.

All that "temporary use" bull is just a discliamer to cover their arse. Ive seen plenty of people flying down the highway with spare tires on doing well over 70 (and they say right on the side not to exceed 45 mph). This one guy at my old apt building had a metro with 2 spares up front that he'd ran for so long there was NO tread left (again the tires say do not exceed traveling 50 miles). Heck just yesterday I saw a Civic with a spare on doing 65 down the highway.

#4 Meeky Moose

Meeky Moose

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 17 October 2003 - 02:49 PM

heh i remember drivin a dodge caravan from sacremento to oregon on 4 temporary donuts.. 65-70 down the road, drove 6 hours (300+ miles), never had a problem.. those things are tough

#5 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,932 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 17 October 2003 - 02:54 PM

Its not the rim that shouldnt exceed 45 its the tire.

That guy that ran spare tire rims with off road tires is the guy that lives here in town with me but he doesnt frequent the web.

#6 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 17 October 2003 - 03:08 PM

SubyBeast also ran them. Was constantly bending them. I don't recommend it at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users